Sign in with
Your question

Change Icon?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 11, 2011 9:13:53 PM

Hello,

I created an application shortcut to place on my desktop.

I want to customize the icon associated with this shortcut.

I created the icon file and saved is as a .ico file.

I replaced the icon and the shortcut displays the new icon.

However, as soon as the computer is turned off and restarted, the icon reverts back to a generic blank icon.

What can I do so that my new icon gets displayed permanently?

More about : change icon

a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2011 2:35:35 AM

is it actually a .ico file or is it just another file type re-named?

I have used all kinds of custom icons i made without issues(right click -> properties ->change icon).

i had used IconEdit32 if i remember right.
m
l
March 14, 2011 6:16:55 PM

It is an actual .ico file. I created it using an icon creation software.

It is a good file because when I change the icon, it appears correctly.

It is only when the computer is turned off and then turned back on, that the icon reverts back to a blank one.

in which folder do you save your custom icons?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 14, 2011 9:36:45 PM

Mine are just in the My Documents( d: ) folder in a folder called icons.

I have always had custom icons(since windows 95), so this is strange to see it not working.

What program are you trying to change the icon for?
m
l
March 14, 2011 10:06:19 PM

It's a link to website created with Google Chrome.

nukemaster said:
Mine are just in the My Documents(d:)  folder in a folder called icons.

I have always had custom icons(since windows 95), so this is strange to see it not working.

What program are you trying to change the icon for?

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 15, 2011 3:29:14 AM

CanCb said:
It's a link to website created with Google Chrome.
so it is a link to a website set to open in chrome? (so something like "c....chrome.exe" http://yoursite..com) <- 2.'s since i am not sure you want to go to yoursite.com

I can install chrome and try to make a shortcut like yours to see what it does.
m
l
June 21, 2011 7:46:00 PM

@Nukemaster So what happened with this, were you ever able to reproduce the problem? The same thing is happening to me, but not on all my custom chrome shortcuts, and not all the time. Can't get them to stick for more than an hour tops before they revert. Usually all the icons on my desktop will go blank (turn into blank sheet of paper icons, but the taskbar doesn't disappear), then when they all come back, the typical few have reverted. Also happens whenever the PC is rebooted or explorer.exe crashes/restarts. This has been bugging me for months, and this is the closest I have seen to my problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2011 1:59:32 AM

I will install chrome and make all kinds of shortcuts too see if it happens. it always happens when rebooted?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2011 2:24:42 AM

Ok, first thing i see upon dragging a shortcut to the desktop is it a simple .url file. as such, windows is making the icon(with the help of IE). now whenever IE clears it temp files, the icon will go away.

Windows has another trick up its sleeve yet. It caches icons so once it is gone, the icon will not go away until the next refresh(could be reboot for you).

Dragged to desktop

After temp internet file cleared.

So that may be why you loose icons. Its not Chrome's fault. it windows fault.

If i misread ans lets say you have set local icons and they go away, we need to look into this further.

I just added local custom icons to 3 shortcuts(toms,ncix,ebay) to see what it does. and if it holds.

EDIT, got a link for you :)  if this is why you have an issue. The OP was loosing actual custom icons, maybe a result of windows trying to get favicons for the links?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1420110,00.asp
m
l
June 22, 2011 7:15:32 PM

Not necessarily after a reboot, but whenever explorer.exe crashes or restarts... I have a bunch of chrome shortcuts, but the only ones that keep reverting are Gmail, At&t, and Facebook. The rest have never reverted. Is there any way to keep windows from clearing the temp file?
m
l
!