CALs

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 29, 2004 4:29:27 AM

Currently I am running three NT 4.0 servers with the
majority of the client PCs running Windows 2000 Pro. I
have 80 Windows 2000 CALs.

Any new PC I purchase has XP installed. Is it OK to use
these on my network or do I need to purchase XP CALs?

More about : cals

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 5:04:53 PM

CALs are more domain related than client.

On an NT 4.0 domain you can use NT 4.0 CALs (probably can not buy them
anymore), because of your downgrade option, you can use Win 2k and Win 2k3
CALs for Win 9X, NT 4.0 Win 2k and Win XP clients.
If you move to a Win 2k domain your NT 4.0 CALs will be no good, your Win 2k
CALs will be good, and if you had Win 2k3 CALs you would use your downgrade
option, and they would be good. If you move to a Win 2k3 domain ONLY Win 2k3
CALs will be good.

On a Win 2k domain, you can not use NT 4.0 CALs for *any* client. You can
use Win 2k CALs for *any* client and because of your downgrade option, you
can use Win 2k3 CALs. If you ever went to a Win 2k3 domain, your Win 2k
CAL:s would be no good and the Win 2k3 CALs you used with your down grade
option will still be good.

In a Win 2k3 domain ONLY Win 2k3 CALs are allowed for *any* client.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

!