AIW and 2000 pro

G

I just put together a dual system using windows 2000, a Tyan tiger 100 (440bx chipset) running twin PIII 550's. The hardware installation was smooth and it posted on the first try (whew!). after installing windows 2000 pro, i went to install the drivers for the all-in-wonder radeon. the drivers installed, but upon reboot, the screen in covered with a fine mesh of colors, and the pc freezes. DAMN!

after entering safe mode and removing the drivers and telling windows to uninstall the card, the pc boots to 2000 pro fine (using the standard VGA adapter setting).....ive tried the latest 2000 drivers, updated direct x to 8.0a, etc. I am relatively new to windows 2000 and somehow feel like im missing something. any ideas would be SERIOUSLY WELCOME! come on amigo's......a fellow tech-head needs some support. thanks.

ignore everything i say

G

I've had the same problem under Win2K. Unless there is some magic procedure used to install the card, I don't think you're missing anything. It's more than likely a driver issue. ATI is renowned for their terrible driver support. I tried everything I could think of trying to get mine to work, even several clean installs and no dice. I finally gave up and gave it to my roomate running Win98 and it works like a dream. If anyone has a fix for this I would appreciate the help too.

You might try the forums at <A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?s=e0fed7b4211f7169fe0a465734f930b0&forumid=24" target="_new">Rage3D</A> for help.

Sarcasm maybe the recourse of a weak mind,
But it can be funny as hell.

G

what card are you running now? are you still using win2000 pro? have you tried service pack 2 yet? thanks a lot for you input!

ignore everything i say

G

I went back to my GeForce256. The AIW works great in Win98, but ATI will have to pry my Win2K from my cold dead fingers before I'll switch back just for a video card. I was up on all the latest patches that I knew of, Via 4-in-1, Dx8, SP2, newest AIW drivers. Are you having any luck yet?

Sarcasm maybe the recourse of a weak mind,
But it can be funny as hell.

G

thanks for the posts....i appreciate it. The complete system is as follows (for anybody new to the post): tyan tiger 100 dual slot 1 mobo (440bx chipset) latest bios, 250 watt PS from Enlight, ati radeon all-in-wonder card, creative ensonique soundblaster 16, 256 mb pc100, 2-10 mb hard drives.

I have tried the drivers from the install disk, the latest drivers from ati website, several leaked drivers, and some older ones as well....nothing but smeared colors and frozen windows boot. I have not downloaded the service pack 2 yet, but will tonight. also, the card works great in another machine running win 98. oh, and there is no card in the first pci slot. thanks again for your ideas.......

ignore everything i say

TRENDING THREADS