Inaccessible Boot Device

I was working with an old NT 4.0 server that had been updated to SP6. I
wanted to bring it up-to-date as far as service packs and critical updates
were concerned. I downloaded and installed SP6a and re-booted with no
problem. Then I downloaded and installed IE 6.0 and re-booted with no
problem.

Then I downloaded and installed the critical update package, and,
when I attempted to re-boot I got a STOP error 0x0000007B ... Inaccessable
Boot Device.

The server was working fine until the critical update package
was installed.

My client isn't quite ready to move to a new server OS.

What, if any, suggestions does anyone have?

Thanks.

Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows NT the
disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows NT
machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy),
and copy Windows NT versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it.
Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to
boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the operating
system located on the first partition of the primary or first drive
(drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT"

Another possibility is to try loading the controller driver also from
floppy. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows NT the disk must contain
the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows NT machine, not a
DOS/Win9x, so the "NT" boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy
ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a
correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.

In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows NT will load a
boot device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then
also copy the correct manufacturer scsi driver to the floppy but renamed to
ntbootdd.sys
(note: if your controller is IDE then use atapi.sys extracted from SP6A
renamed as ntbootdd.sys)

Something like this below;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT 0,1"
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT 0,2"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT 1,1"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT 1,2"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"BurskiJ" wrote:
| Then <snip> when I attempted to re-boot I got a STOP error 0x0000007B ...
Inaccessable Boot Device. <snip> My client isn't quite ready to move to a new
server OS.

My 1st question: What if I *am* ready to switch to new OS -- will that get
me around the "boot issue" (which seems unlikely) or do I still have to get
this figured out before purchasing/installing new OS (as seems most likely to
me)?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try creating a boot disk. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows NT the
> disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows NT
> machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy),
> and copy Windows NT versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it.
> Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to
> boot. Below is an example of boot.ini. The default is to start the operating
> system located on the first partition of the primary or first drive
> (drive0). Then drive0 partition 2 and so on.

My 2nd question: Since getting access to diff sys running my OS is bit of
trouble for me (no comp at work, friends have either more recent PC OS or Mac
or diff lang OS or some combo of 3 ... anyway I can find way to buy, copy,
something to get boot on floppy? (Of course, I'd be really stoked if just
getting new, full OS would do it -- I'm no guru, just literate enough to fix
minor problems & totally out of my depth here.) Or do I just have to figure
out a way to make that viable?

All help is greatly appreciated.
TIA!
Leuth Bartels