Asus A8N SLI DLX CPU Fan reporting wrong operating values!!

czarousa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
Hello to all,

I have a very peculiar Problem, My system is working all right but the cpu fan speed reported by asus pc probe module sometimes reports speed of 30000 rpm and sometimes -25000 even -31000 yes that is minus when I can see the fan rotating all right as I have opened the case and keep looking at the cpu fan for verification previously it jused to do this in rare circumstances but now everytime i boot into windows or in the bios its the same story the temps are all fine and so is the system (stable)

I done know what to do, I downloaded the new asus pc probe 2 module but it also gave the same readings so whats wrong????
Advice and comments needed .....

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I wouldn't worry about it.

Since all it is doing is reporting a speed, it doesn't make the computer run wrong if the reported speed is wrong, so I wouldn't worry about it.

My mobo (a Soyo Dragon) sometimes reports my chipset fan speed incorrectly the same way as yours does. In my case it does it for a split second, then it shows a reasonable value most of the time.

Mike.

czarousa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
Thanks mate, I was also thinking on the same lines as I was seeing with my own eyes the fan operating normally. I just wanted to know will this mean that my mobo modue is wrong or the fan controller is out?
Nothing serious though

mpjesse

Splendid
Do you have it hooked up to the right connector? Each fan connector has a unique label on this board. I.E., one for case, one for CPU, one for chipset, etc. If you plug it into the wrong one, you'll get screwy readings.

-mpjesse

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Yah, either what mpjesse said, or the sensor is configured wrong so it shows way out values. Maybe a bios update will fix it, but I'm not sure its worth it.

Mike.

czarousa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
The same connector was giving right values for the last 5 months!!!!!
Anyway I have disabled Asus Q fan control ( which decreases the cpu fan speed automatically ) and since then its all right....
Thanks