Researcher Proposes Noise Cancellation Tech for Use in Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Noise cancellation in a car sounds like the worst idea ever. If you're a passenger, maybe this will benefit you, but the driver needs to hear all those sounds. What if your engine starts to make weird noises? What if cars start honking at you and you don't notice? People get into enough traffic accidents as it is. Don't need this extraneous technology to increase the casualties.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This technology isn't very useful for the driver but it may prove useful for, say, buses, where the driver cockpit can be separated from the rest of the bus, leaving the driver exposed to noises as s/he sees fit while the passengers enjoy the quiet.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]How about cancelling the noise that comes out of the car?Call it the Gangsta Muffler™.[/citation]

Tell that to all those ricers that can't even beat a Toyota Camry, but sounds as loud as a Ferrari.

kc5omo

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Not really, rhythmic road sounds could be lowered. This would make for a more comfortable, pleasant trip on rock embedded asphalt roads.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Honda's Odyssey has engine bay noise cancellation technology and so do a few other cars. The car's radio system counteracts the sound waves coming from the engine bay.
I'm not sure if cancelling road noises is a good idea or not

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Sorry Officer, I did not hear your siren. My car has noise cancellation :)

"use rapid sound waves"...

I knew it... those expensive rides have faster sound waves than a bargain basement Chevy of course :)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Tell that to all those ricers that can't even beat a Toyota Camry, but sounds as loud as a Ferrari.[/citation]

Or have a very, very loud bass system.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
in the last... 18 years of my life, everything i can remember, i cant say i ever heard a horn honk at us, or that sound ever played a part in any way of driving.
is a train coming, lights flash
hell, half the time i am ever in a car with someone, the music is turned up loud enough to drown out sound

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Why cant they just make a completely soundproof car?

hopefully in the future, they make a car that is 100% soundproof and also make the windshield a large display and high res cameras in the front that can to real time spot healing (like the photoshop tool) to remove distractions from your view, eg things like pedestrians and other cars)

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
In my car, I'd like to cancel road noise, while keeping engine noise at current levels.

In fact, I'm not sure I'd want to filter anything other than road/tyre noise. I might miss something important, like the engine falling to bits. Nor do I want the severity of potholes to be reduced - such severe impacts on the suspension are the kind of things I need to be aware of when driving.

But yeah, road/tyre noise can go, definitely.

Maybe a configurable system where we can pick which sources of noise are filtered?

Wait a sec... so this guy wants to put noise canceling tech in a car which needs to be tested by essentially driving badly... and Ford is GIVING him a car to do this with?!?!? This guy is a genius!

UC is an awesome school, full of highly motivated students. I work with their students all the time at the local nonprofit that I work with and I have never had a complaint about a single UC student (sadly the same thing cannot be said about NKU and Xavier students).

[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]Why cant they just make a completely soundproof car?[/citation]
With electric cars coming out that make no engine noise, and more aerodynamic designs that have dramatically less air noise (perhaps the only good thing about the Leaf), all that you would have to combat is tire noise, which can be dealt with by having better quiet tires, as well as by isolating tire vibration with better suspension. Noise cancellation to isolate the rest of the ambient noise would be very easy at that point.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
these so called researchers are a little late....some cars already have this tech to some extent....i believe that the Bose sound system in some Mazda cars use kind of noise canceling

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]these so called researchers are a little late....some cars already have this tech to some extent....i believe that the Bose sound system in some Mazda cars use kind of noise canceling[/citation]

Yeah, it's called Bose AudioPilot. I have it in my Mazdaspeed3. But it only works for constant road noise, not potholes and the like. I'm pretty sure Mercedes/Audi/BMW all use active noise cancellation in their higher end models too.

Status
Not open for further replies.