Unauthorized Internet connection.

I'm running NT4.0 with a modem Internet connection. The system works
well but lately I've noticed something kind of scary. Without any
user input, my Internet connection spontaneously starts. The small
"now connecting" box comes up and the modem is dialed just as
it does when I start it by clicking on the startup icon.

I have let such a logon proceed and then looked at applications and
processes via Task Manager but I have not seen anything that looks
out of place. In fact after the connection the system idle process
is usually at 99%.

I've checked my Scheduled Tasks and there are none. The only time
I have observed this spontaneous connection is in late morning.

I use Norton Antivirus and update it every week religiously.

This looks and feels like my computer has been hacked and is
being used. Is there any legitimate reason this could be
happening?

What else can I do to find out why this thing is running and to
stop it?

Thanks,
Zaster

Is this a single computer or a server on a network? If it is an NT server on
a network is it using MS proxy?

DDS

"Billy Smith" <zaster39sap@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm running NT4.0 with a modem Internet connection. The system works
> well but lately I've noticed something kind of scary. Without any
> user input, my Internet connection spontaneously starts. The small
> "now connecting" box comes up and the modem is dialed just as
> it does when I start it by clicking on the startup icon.
>
> I have let such a logon proceed and then looked at applications and
> processes via Task Manager but I have not seen anything that looks
> out of place. In fact after the connection the system idle process
> is usually at 99%.
>
> I've checked my Scheduled Tasks and there are none. The only time
> I have observed this spontaneous connection is in late morning.
>
> I use Norton Antivirus and update it every week religiously.
>
> This looks and feels like my computer has been hacked and is
> being used. Is there any legitimate reason this could be
> happening?
>
> What else can I do to find out why this thing is running and to
> stop it?
>
> Thanks,
> Zaster

Single machine in my home, running NT Workstation, nobody else has access to
the machine.

--Billy

"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> Is this a single computer or a server on a network? If it is an NT server
on
> a network is it using MS proxy?
>
> DDS
>
> "Billy Smith" <zaster39sap@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running NT4.0 with a modem Internet connection. The system works
> > well but lately I've noticed something kind of scary. Without any
> > user input, my Internet connection spontaneously starts. The small
> > "now connecting" box comes up and the modem is dialed just as
> > it does when I start it by clicking on the startup icon.
> >
> > I have let such a logon proceed and then looked at applications and
> > processes via Task Manager but I have not seen anything that looks
> > out of place. In fact after the connection the system idle process
> > is usually at 99%.
> >
> > I've checked my Scheduled Tasks and there are none. The only time
> > I have observed this spontaneous connection is in late morning.
> >
> > I use Norton Antivirus and update it every week religiously.
> >
> > This looks and feels like my computer has been hacked and is
> > being used. Is there any legitimate reason this could be
> > happening?
> >
> > What else can I do to find out why this thing is running and to
> > stop it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Zaster

I would download, install and run Ad-aware 6 and spybot search and destroy.
Both are free.

Unless you have something scheduled (antivirus updates?) this should not be
happening.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

> Single machine in my home, running NT Workstation, nobody else has access
> the machine.
>
> --Billy
>
> "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> > Is this a single computer or a server on a network? If it is an NT
server
> on
> > a network is it using MS proxy?
> >
> > DDS
> >
> > "Billy Smith" <zaster39sap@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm running NT4.0 with a modem Internet connection. The system works
> > > well but lately I've noticed something kind of scary. Without any
> > > user input, my Internet connection spontaneously starts. The small
> > > "now connecting" box comes up and the modem is dialed just as
> > > it does when I start it by clicking on the startup icon.
> > >
> > > I have let such a logon proceed and then looked at applications and
> > > processes via Task Manager but I have not seen anything that looks
> > > out of place. In fact after the connection the system idle process
> > > is usually at 99%.
> > >
> > > I've checked my Scheduled Tasks and there are none. The only time
> > > I have observed this spontaneous connection is in late morning.
> > >
> > > I use Norton Antivirus and update it every week religiously.
> > >
> > > This looks and feels like my computer has been hacked and is
> > > being used. Is there any legitimate reason this could be
> > > happening?
> > >
> > > What else can I do to find out why this thing is running and to
> > > stop it?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Zaster

I checked my anti-virus update scheduler and it is not scheduled for
automatic
run (I do it manually). I don't know of anything else on my machine that
would
do an automatic connection. And, even if there were, don't legitimate
programs that do automatic connections put up a window telling you what's
going on?

I just ran Spybot Search and Destroy and it found the usual few tracker
cookies.
Do you think there's any point in running Ad-ware 6?

--Zaster

> I would download, install and run Ad-aware 6 and spybot search and
destroy.
> Both are free.
>
> Unless you have something scheduled (antivirus updates?) this should not
be
> happening.
>

> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>

> "Billy Smith" <zaster39sap@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Single machine in my home, running NT Workstation, nobody else has
access
> > the machine.
> >
> > --Billy
> >
> > "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> > > Is this a single computer or a server on a network? If it is an NT
> server
> > on
> > > a network is it using MS proxy?
> > >
> > > DDS
> > >
> > > "Billy Smith" <zaster39sap@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> do an automatic connection. And, even if there were, don't legitimate
> programs that do automatic connections put up a window telling you what's
> going on?

Not necessarily. I would download and install Zone alarm or Sygate personal
firewall they will put up a window letting you know what is trying to access
the Internet.

> Do you think there's any point in running Ad-ware 6?

Couldn't hurt.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

> I checked my anti-virus update scheduler and it is not scheduled for
> automatic
> run (I do it manually). I don't know of anything else on my machine that
> would
> do an automatic connection. And, even if there were, don't legitimate
> programs that do automatic connections put up a window telling you what's
> going on?
>
> I just ran Spybot Search and Destroy and it found the usual few tracker
> cookies.
> Do you think there's any point in running Ad-ware 6?
>
> --Zaster
>

> "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> > I would download, install and run Ad-aware 6 and spybot search and
> destroy.
> > Both are free.
> >
> > Unless you have something scheduled (antivirus updates?) this should not
> be
> > happening.
> >

> > hth
> > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
> >

> > "Billy Smith" <zaster39sap@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Single machine in my home, running NT Workstation, nobody else has
> access
> > > the machine.
> > >
> > > --Billy
> > >
> > > "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> > server
> > > on

> works

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do you have Outlook Express or Outlook or any messenger
services running that might be performing a scheduled
email search?

"Greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you have Outlook Express or Outlook or any messenger
> services running that might be performing a scheduled
> email search?

I use Outlook Express only for reading newsgroups. No
messenger services. I use Netscape for my email and web
browsing. I have used these apps for at least a year or
more and have not seen this problem until recently (about
two weeks).

I have noticed that it seems to happen within a few minutes of
when I terminate a connection session.

Maybe the best thing is to try the ZoneAlarm as suggested
above.

Bruce

Billy Smith wrote:
> I'm running NT4.0 with a modem Internet connection. The system works
> well but lately I've noticed something kind of scary. Without any
> user input, my Internet connection spontaneously starts. The small
> "now connecting" box comes up and the modem is dialed just as
> it does when I start it by clicking on the startup icon.
>
> I have let such a logon proceed and then looked at applications and
> processes via Task Manager but I have not seen anything that looks
> out of place. In fact after the connection the system idle process
> is usually at 99%.
>
> I've checked my Scheduled Tasks and there are none. The only time
> I have observed this spontaneous connection is in late morning.
>
> I use Norton Antivirus and update it every week religiously.
>
> This looks and feels like my computer has been hacked and is
> being used. Is there any legitimate reason this could be
> happening?
>
> What else can I do to find out why this thing is running and to
> stop it?
>
> Thanks,
> Zaster

go to a command prompt and use netstat to find out who you are
connecting to.