Dual Moniter Output W/ DVI

chaddeems

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2005
I have a 26" LCD TV W/ a DVI input and a computer running Windows Media Center Edition. I am looking to buy a tv tuner and newer video card with a DVI output so i can hook up my tv. The card i am looking at is the Evga Geforce FX5500 256MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130197 (I am not into camputer gaming just AutoCad). This card says it can support dual moniters and has a DVI and VGA connection. My question is can i use the VGA for my moniter and the DVI for my tv and use the dual moniter function to use my computer on my moniter and have someone use the functions of media center to watch tv on my LCD tv? If not that then can i at least use the DVI for my tv? I am also looking at the hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE dual tuner. I am hoping to be able to use this tuner to record and watch tv on my tv and also be able to use my VGA moniter to use the computer for whatever i want. If i cannot accomplish this with these componants is there anything out there that will. Price is not a factor to much but right now i am looking to do this as cheap as possible and upgrade later. thanks

pyrix

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
Yes, but dont expect The TV card to open to the TV. You will need to install the most recent nvidia Forceware drivers, and set it to dual display, so you can transfer windows over to the TV TUner (set this as a secondary display), then expand it to take up the entire screen on the TV. THen you can use the other monitor as your primary, but while watching HDTV< dont expect to be doing much more than word processing or email checking, as you will run out of resources quickly.

Admiral_Cecil

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

Get an X800 XL. It's much better and faster for under $195. Has dual dvi. Video-in/ out.

Also any x800/ 6600gt cards can do the same for less.

pyrix

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
Yeah sorry, did word funny. Meant use TV tuner window (that with the show in it, over to secondary display through GFX card.

pyrix

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
If thats all ur using the system for, then fine for the X800XL's, however they dont have Pixel Shader 3.0, which really makes some games look prutty, it depends wether you are fussy about ur eye candy in games or not. If not, than the X800XL is a great card, but if u want PS 3.0, go a nvidia 6/7 series or a Radeon X1k.