LogonUser with executing a batch script via cmd.exe

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 6, 2004 3:04:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32,comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.software.services (More info?)

Hi,
In my program which is launched via a modified msgina (and hence runs
as SYSTEM), I do the following

1. LogonUser
2. ImpersonateUser
3. CreateProcessAsUser (with the security token obtained via
LogonUser)

For the CreateProcessAsUser, I execute cmd.exe and pass in a batch
file to run which mounts drives via "net use".

The drives mount fine, however, the drives are ONLY AVAILABLE to that
cmd window. Any other process (like explorer or some other cmd shell)
cannot see those drives

Any clues?

Thanks
Lyle
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 9:01:49 PM

"Lyle Coder" <x_coder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> In my program which is launched via a modified msgina (and hence runs
> as SYSTEM), I do the following
>
> 1. LogonUser
> 2. ImpersonateUser
> 3. CreateProcessAsUser (with the security token obtained via
> LogonUser)
>
> For the CreateProcessAsUser, I execute cmd.exe and pass in a batch
> file to run which mounts drives via "net use".
>
> The drives mount fine, however, the drives are ONLY AVAILABLE to that
> cmd window. Any other process (like explorer or some other cmd shell)
> cannot see those drives

Virtual drives (made by Net use) are stored in Registry under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
When your code runs there is no such hive loaded as SYSTEM doesn't have one
and the
API's you specify doesn't load one.
Anyway.. to give permission to network drives to a specific user you a) need
the users
account credentials and b) need to store the account etc in his/her Registry
hive. Thus
i can't see the point in your excersise - why not just use a logon script, a
shortcut in
All Users\... Startup or a command line under Run in HKLM ?

- Sten
!