same mb for AMD dual or single core ?

RamaX

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Im gettin a ton of help on the Gen Homebuilt systems about the 3 puters im building/buying for kids. One question came up i havent gotten answer for yet:

A few suggested i got with the Chaintach VNF4 Ultra but will that work with a dual core AMD64x2 3800 that im considering as well as the single core AMDs ? If i go dual core do i have to go with Chaintech VNF4 ZENITH VE nForce 4 ?

Also since im here, should i bother trying to shoot for SLI as well ? Mobos with them seem to get a pretty huge price boost. And if i DO go SLI, do i have to put in 2 cards from begining or can i just get one graph card thats SLI capable and i can upgrade by adding 2nd card later ?

Thanks
PS: If anyone wants to chime in on whether or not i should go with 4200 instead of 3800 for better cache-like how significant is improvement id appreciate it.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Almost ALL (99%+) Socket 939 motherboards can use either single or dual core. A few of them, that are old stock leftover from spring '05, may need a bios update before working with dual core. A couple oddball boards with uncommon chipsets don't work with dual core. Since 99%+ of our recommendations are for nForce4 chipsets, it'll work with either core. Since most stock is rotated in just a few months, I don't expect you'll need a bios update either, but its not impossible.

Will you use SLI? If you have an unlimited budget and money is no object in your quest for the all-time best gaming computer, then get SLI. If you have a budget, don't. Many people say they'll get a 7800GT now, then in 6 mos or so get another for SLI. Well, when SLI came out, people got a 6800GT, then in 6 months the 7800s came out with better performance than 2x6800GT in SLI... so its not worth it IMO. You could get an SLI mobo and only 1 video card now, then another later, but later they'll have a new video card that's faster than your 2 current cards, so...

Umm, in your PS: The 3800 & the 4200 (I'm assuming you mean dual core, right?) have the same amount of cache. The difference is clock speed (2.0ghz vs 2.2ghz). If the speed will help you, get the 4200. If you overclock save a few $ and get the 3800. The rest is preference.

Mike.