Sign in with
Your question

New System

Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2005 9:10:41 AM

I know this question probably gets asked a few times a day, but I just don’t have the time to search forums all day long, especially with 2 little kids. I’m planning to buy a new computer soon, mainly for gaming, so could you guys please give me some comments/suggestions for what to get. Also have a few questions.

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3700+ (Do Athlon64s run cooler than P4s?)

M/B: Gigabyte K8NF-9

RAM: 2x512MB DDR400 PC3200 (Are OCZ, Geil or Corsair brands ok?)

STORAGE: 200GB Seagate or Western Digital 7200RPM SATA HD

VIDEO CARD: 256MB Geforce 7800GT
(What brand is a good one. I’m not into overclocking)
(Silly question probably but my monitor only has a 15 pin connector, will this work on the latest cards? Or do I have to get a monitor with DVI?)

SOUND: I’m planning to keep my old SB Live! Is it worth getting an Audigy 2 Value?

CASE: Antec TX640B with 400W PS
(Is this case good enough for cooling?)
(Is 400W powerful enough for this system?)

Thanks in advance

More about : system

December 6, 2005 9:30:17 AM

Quote:
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3700+ (Do Athlon64s run cooler than P4s?)

LOL!! :lol:  :lol:  MUCH COOLER even when Overclocked...lol
Quote:
M/B: Gigabyte K8NF-9

I would get a chantech VNF4 board, roughtly $65-$70 and its not that the gigabyte is bad....but this is much cheaper and just as good.

Quote:
RAM: 2x512MB DDR400 PC3200 (Are OCZ, Geil or Corsair brands ok?)

Yes...but WHAT ram you choose depends on if you are going to OC or keep it stock. For stock i would say Corsair Value ram 1GB kit (2x512) for like $72 from newegg

Quote:
STORAGE: 200GB Seagate or Western Digital 7200RPM SATA HD

I like seagate the best....they have a small price bump from WD and Maxtor but they have a 5yr warranty and are often mcuh quieter drives. You can get a 250GB SATA Seagate one for $100 last i saw on newegg.

Quote:
VIDEO CARD: 256MB Geforce 7800GT
(What brand is a good one. I’m not into overclocking)
(Silly question probably but my monitor only has a 15 pin connector, will this work on the latest cards? Or do I have to get a monitor with DVI?)

I personally LOVE BFG. They have a lifetime warranty and they are slightly OC'd out of the box. Also XFX is pretty good. but i wuold spend the extra $15 and get a BFG....

You can use your regular monitor, your gpu will come with an adapter for your monitor so you can use an old one without a DVI hookup.

Quote:
SOUND: I’m planning to keep my old SB Live! Is it worth getting an Audigy 2 Value?

No, use your SB live if you want to but onboard sound for this mobo is pretty good. Try both....

Quote:
CASE: Antec TX640B with 400W PS
(Is this case good enough for cooling?)
(Is 400W powerful enough for this system?)

How attached to that case are you? Do you like the looks, features, PSU or what? Personally i would buy an antec solution series case....simple and not a lotof crappy bling to it and then buy FSP PSU....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954 The PSU is probably bit of overkill. You only need like 350-400 of a quality brand but 450 of a super good brand will do you very well for quite a long time and maybe even into your next build in 4yrs as well..
!