Kris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey all! =)

I am relatively new to the position of an IT Technician, as I recently
completed my A Level exams and was plunged into full time employment
immediately afterwards! So far everything is going smoothly and I am
currently migrating the network and its users from a Windows NT based
operating system to Server 2003/Windows XP Pro.

To do this and save time I use RIS, which uses a previously made image and
installs onto the desired machine. However with a minority of workstations
the installation process is haulted by the error: "Kernel thread terminated
while holding a mutex". From looking at the error codes it seems to be
graphics card related, although the motherboards located in the machines
utilise on-board graphics and are of the same specifications as the
workstations next to them, which work perfectly.

Are the workstations that receive this problem required a BIOS flashing to a
newer version? If anyone can help out, give advice or let me know how to
flash a BIOS correctly it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Kris

| "Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com>
| <SNIP> A Level exams <SNIP> migrating the network and its users
| from a Windows NT based operating system to Server
| 2003/Windows XP Pro. <SNIP> I use RIS <SNIP> "Kernel thread
| terminated while holding a mutex". <SNIP>

If you don't get any replies to this (IMO)
not-so-windowsxp.basics question...

You can find peer-to-peer support for Windows XP setup and
deployment issues in the Windows XP: Setup and Deployment
Newsgroup.

The following page has links you can click to access the
newsgroup with your Web browser, or with a Network News Transfer
Protocol (NNTP)-based newsreader such as Outlook Express.

Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Management Technologies Newsgroups
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/management/default.mspx

And you can find peer-to-peer support for Windows Server
Migration, and Server Setup, in the Operating Systems Newsgroups.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/operatingsystems/default.mspx