Your question

First Build, Comments Welcome.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2005 2:25:29 PM

Hello. I have been reading these boards for a while and have finally saved up enough money to build a system of my own. I will be giving the wife my old Dell, and am looking for a good gaming rig and image editing.

I may or may not overclock. I've never done it, but would like the option to.

Mobo: ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail = $110
I heard that the EPoX boards have terrible support.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail = $233

Video Card: BFG Tech BFGR78256GTCOD2 Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card = $350
I currently play EQ2, WoW, AOE3, and will play Vanguard when it comes out. This seems like a beast of a card.

PSU: ENERMAX Whisper II EG465P-VE FMA(24) ATX12V 460W Power Supply = $76
Is this enough power or should I go for more?

Case: Thermaltake XASER, Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail = $150
I'm really a noob when it comes to a case. I think I can save a bunch of money here, any suggestions. I only picked this one cause it looked cool. I would buy a cool one for $50 though too.

Memory: CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail = $240
I chose 2GB because that is the minimum requirement to run Vanguard. Is this Corsair the best to get?

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM = $64.50
I don't plan on setting up any raid setup, would this drive suffice or is there a better one? I don't have that much music and no videos, so I don't need too much storage.

Optical Drive: Don't really know which one to get here. They are all so cheap. I would like a DVD-R drive at the least. Will take any recommendations.

A few questions:
(1) Will this setup work together. Meaning, do all the numbers line up and will everything fit in the case and on the Mobo?
(2) Is it possible to OC this system if I wanted to?

Thanks in advance.
Eric

More about : build comments

December 6, 2005 3:12:10 PM

My understanding is the Asus boards don't OC well (except the top of the line SLI Premium). But I've never tried... Look at the Chaintech VNF4. It's cheaper than Asus/Epox and overclocks pretty well, and is a very good board by all reports. Also maybe an ABit or DFI (DFI is the best OCer, but it needs work to get there).

Good choice on CPU & video.

PSU should be plenty of power for you. a 450w Fortron here is a little cheaper (and still a quality PSU) if price is important.

I'm not that up on RAM, so someone may suggest different RAM (and hopefully will) but 2G like that is best. The RAM may vary depending on what mobo you will get as some mobos can take advantage of some RAM better than others.

I like Seagates - 5 yr warranty & such. If the size fits your need its perfect.

NEC, Lite-On, whoever. Pick the one that's cheapest... :)  I got a NEC a year ago and its worked fine, but I've also had lite-on's.

As far as cases go, I'm into 20$ cheapy's... so get whatever. :) 

Mike.
December 6, 2005 7:07:14 PM

Thanks for the info. A few more questions.

I want to get a system that I can upgrade over the next few years. Should I looking into getting an SLI motherboard in case I'd like to buy another GPU?

Would getting 1g of ram now and then another 2x512 be fine or would you recommend sticking with the 2g right now. I know some of the games that utilize 2g of ram won't be out for a while (at least the ones I'm going to play). Is having 4x512 any different than 2x1g?

If I'm going to get an SLI board, any recommendations? I always see the same few boards on this forum when people aren't going to go SLI. Should I be looking at the DVI boards for this?

Thanks in advance.
Eric
Related resources
December 6, 2005 10:55:58 PM

Do not get an SLI board.....by the time you want to upgrade a 7800GT will be 260bucks and will nly give you a small boost, and a newer card will be 300 and more then double your performance. SLI isn't really good for upgrading...it wont be good for you in the long run.

If you want 2GB of RAM you will want to get 1gbx2. you dont want 512x4 on an AMD board....they will slow down. I dont know that you need 2Gb.....but if you want it, get 2dimms
December 7, 2005 11:47:51 AM

Ok, thanks for the info. I have decided to stick with the 2x1g of ram and switch the mobo to a chaintech. After a couple of lite-on optical drives, I think I'm ready to go.
December 7, 2005 12:36:12 PM

a couple? One burner and one dvdrom?
December 7, 2005 12:45:40 PM

Ok, maybe just one. I don't really do any straight copying of discs. Was going to get a dvd and a dvd writer. Maybe I'll get just a DVD writer.
December 7, 2005 12:50:31 PM

personally i wuld get a DVDrom and a DVD-RW

because you can use the DVDrom for watching movies...and that way if you do copy DVD's it will take 45min and not 2hours.

DVDrom drives are hella cheap someplaces. I would have one in but i need that IDE slot for HDD's

So you have 1 HDD and 2 optical? And the HDD is sata?

if it is you dont have to worry about IDE channels....one optical on each channel and the SATA in the right place.
December 7, 2005 1:13:44 PM

Was thinking about getting the dvdrom and the dvd burner. I'll go with that. I currently am only going to get 1 hdd. Would the setup change if I decided to get a second or third drive? Probably won't run a raid or anything, but may need to eventually get more storage.

Would it be better to just get 1 ~250-300g hard drive off the bat? If so, which one?

Thanks,
Eric
December 8, 2005 12:01:57 AM

250GB drives are at the best $ per GB ratio.....250GB Segate SATA drive, for $100 at newegg is SUPER DUPER Good.....you can have all the SATA drives you want and it wont affect performance. Its the IDE drives that sometimes get in eachothers way.
December 8, 2005 11:39:50 AM

Great, Thanks pickxx. Just need to save up a bit more cash then I'm going to place the order.
December 9, 2005 12:31:50 AM

Let me know how the build goes.
!