First Build, Mobo Installation

Turv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
Well, i am soon about to start building my new PC.

The Specs are.
AMD 64 3200+ (Venice Core)
Epox EP-9NPA+ Ultra
535W Enermax FMA SLi PSU
XBlade Case
1GB Corsair Value Ram (2x512mb)
250GB ATA/133 IDE H/D

Now, This is my first ever build, therefore i have never installed a motherboard but think i know what i am doing when it comes to the cabeling.

Anyhow, is their any tips when it comes to actually inserting the Mobo into the case? As i saw a post by someguy that destroyed his Mobo as soon as it touched the metal of the back of the case.

If that does happen as soon as it touches, then is their any advice on how to install it safely without destroying it?

Do i just place the mobo within the case (about 1/2 inch from the metal) and screw in the screws?

Any help or advice on Anything to do with building the PC is appreciated (even if it has nothing to do with mobo installation, help is greatly appreciated.)

Oh, yea, should i format my current HD on my current PC and install windows now, so that its ready to just insert the HD into the new PC so its windows ready? or should i just format it, then reinstall windows XP on the new PC?

Thanks again.

Would be interesting to see how he managed to destroy the mobo by touching the case...Maybe he had the power cable plugged into the mobo and the PSU plugged into the wall and it shorted his board. Sounds like he did something stupid during installation...

Read your mobo manual before you do the installation - all of it - and follow the instructions. It's a relatively simple procedure. make sure you only have in the stanchions that you will be using to secure the mobo, place the mobo onto the stanchions and secure it with screws.

You can format the HDD now, but wait to install windows until it is in the system you are building. On first boot when win is installed it will detect your hardware and want to install drivers. You don't want to setup windows with the wrong hardware config. You'll just have to do a repair install of Windows or - worst case - have to reformat/reinstall.

Turv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
Thanks again for another reply Rugger :)

I am reading the manuals this week - Will build it next Friday when i get some time off.

I hope it will go as smoothly as poss. But i will give it my best shot lol ;)

If you see a HELP ME Post on Friday/Saturday, you know something went wrong lol.

Any more advice for my first build is appreciated :)

Give yourself plenty of time for a first build! The best advice is to read everything before you even open the boxes and have a step-by-step process that you follow when building. It really is a simple process - just take your time and HAVE FUN!

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Epox EP-9NPA+ Ultra
535W Enermax FMA SLi PSU
XBlade Case
250GB ATA/133 IDE H/D

You dont have a gpu listed.....that might help with your build....lol

Turv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
Epox EP-9NPA+ Ultra
535W Enermax FMA SLi PSU
XBlade Case
250GB ATA/133 IDE H/D

You dont have a gpu listed.....that might help with your build....lol

Forgot to add that lol.
Its an XFX 7800GT 256Mb PCI-E, Hopefully gets delivered on Friday.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
how many IDE HDD's do you have total? 1? how many optical total? 1?

if you have one of each put them on different IDE channels....meaning connect one to each connection on the board. Otherwise your transfer speeds will be HORRIBLE.....If you get a 2nd HDD thats IDE put it on with the optical drive.....transfer between THAT optical and THAT HDD will suck but then you can use both HDDs without worrying about slowing down.

Um....other tips.....cableing....BE PATIENT and route your cables properly the first time. either get some zip ties for like 99cents at Home Depot, or get some twist ties for like 11cents. These will hold your cables out of the way. Its not that you have to make it look all zen....but it helps later when you want to add something, or clean your computer. Its weird but its something that often pays off when you have a neat set of cables and nothing dangling.

Download all the applications you want to have and burn to a CD before you do an instal....this way you will have Adaware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard, and any Anti virus you want BEFORE you have to connect to the web to download latest drivers and such. This is often skipped, but it takes almost no time to setup and it VERY much worth it. I have a DVD right now with about 75 programs for fresh installs for me or friends.

Other then that you have a KILLER system and have fun. scome back and le us know how it went.

TheAces

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
What windows version do u have?
if u have 2000 or Xp or later it will not boot up when u plug it into your new PC. Newer windows versions will not let themselves move between PC's like Win 98 did.

Turv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
how many IDE HDD's do you have total? 1? how many optical total? 1?

I have 2 IDE Hard Drives, One DVDRW, and one Floppy Drive.

if you have one of each put them on different IDE channels....meaning connect one to each connection on the board. Otherwise your transfer speeds will be HORRIBLE.....If you get a 2nd HDD thats IDE put it on with the optical drive.....transfer between THAT optical and THAT HDD will suck but then you can use both HDDs without worrying about slowing down.

Do you mean have a Master IDE HD in my Primary IDE, Master Optical in Secondary IDE, and Slave IDE HD in my Secondary IDE? So using the same cable to connect my DVD RW and my Second IDE HD together? and have my main IDE HD on the Primary IDE slot.

Will that increase transfer speeds?

Um....other tips.....cableing....BE PATIENT and route your cables properly the first time. either get some zip ties for like 99cents at Home Depot, or get some twist ties for like 11cents. These will hold your cables out of the way. Its not that you have to make it look all zen....but it helps later when you want to add something, or clean your computer. Its weird but its something that often pays off when you have a neat set of cables and nothing dangling.
I have plent of the tie things so i will be neating up my cables all together thanks :)

Download all the applications you want to have and burn to a CD before you do an instal....this way you will have Adaware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard, and any Anti virus you want BEFORE you have to connect to the web to download latest drivers and such. This is often skipped, but it takes almost no time to setup and it VERY much worth it. I have a DVD right now with about 75 programs for fresh installs for me or friends.

Never thought about that, i will sort that out this week and get it all onto a disc ready.

What windows version do u have?
if u have 2000 or Xp or later it will not boot up when u plug it into your new PC. Newer windows versions will not let themselves move between PC's like Win 98 did.

What do you mean Aces?

He's probably referring to your OS installation...i.e. if you were using the same HDD in your new build and wanted to use the windows install currently loaded on it, then it can be troublesome to get win running with your new hardware. I agree that it is preferrable to do a freash install when doing a new build, but XP does have the capability to do a repair install.

The real question is why that would need to be said, since we had already talked about formatting/installing the new windows load....

Turv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
Now i re-read i get what he was on about lol,

Yea, I will format my PC on my current machine after i back up my music etc, then i will format/partition it again in my new machine to do a fresh windows install.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Do you mean have a Master IDE HD in my Primary IDE, Master Optical in Secondary IDE, and Slave IDE HD in my Secondary IDE? So using the same cable to connect my DVD RW and my Second IDE HD together? and have my main IDE HD on the Primary IDE slot.

Primary boot drive IDE master, 2nd optical as slave
MAIN optical master 2nd IDE HDD as slave.

This is the best setup for speed withuo bottlenecking your system.

Turv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
Oh,

So see if i understand this right lol..

* PRIMARY IDE * - Master IDE H/D
************** - Slave Optical (DVD RW)

* SECONDARY IDE * - Master - EMPTY
***************** - Slave Second IDE H/D

If you can understand what my thing above means lol.[/i]

PS. Rugger check your PM ;)

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Oh,

So see if i understand this right lol..

************** - Slave Optical (DVD RW)

* SECONDARY IDE * - Master - EMPTY

If you can understand what my thing above means lol.[/i]

PS. Rugger check your PM ;)

nope....this is how it should be....

************** - EMPTY
* SECONDARY IDE * - Master - Optical drive.

Ryan58

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
from my limited experience. (I built about 10ish homebuilt systems now for myself and people I know) I can give you some tips.

Discharge static electricity before you start opening platic bags. Touch a grounded object.

Before you install the mobo in the case, lay it on the bag it came in and install the cpu and maybe even the mem on it too, it can be fiddly to do it if the mobo is already screwed in the case.

be carefull when adding the hsf on the cpu/mobo. but don't be fooled, the last lever can be hard to turn till the end, apply enough force on it if needed, it won't break. Make sure that the hsf is fitted correct tho.

Get rid of the sticky stuff that comes standard on hsf's. Any paste is better. lighter fuel will do nice to clean the standard pads.

Fit the correct spacers in the back of the case. no more, no less. The backpanel connecters can be fiddly to aim in the right backplate holes, but they will fit like a glove once they do.

It might be good to remove the psu and add it in at the end. especially for connection flat cables to optical drives up top. Also it could help to remove HDD racks, fans and other mounts and put them back later when the mobo and add on cards are fitted

take your time, think where you are going to put your cables. use sticky tape and tiewraps to keep them together. wires taped to the case are so much better then wires floating around.

if you have another working computer available, burn a cd or DVD with all newest drivers and software+ patches you can think of. especially mobo, video card, sound card, sata, scsi, raid drivers. Have a bios flash disk ready too and a bios recovery disk.

when the pc is assembled, build it up step by step.
get your bios flash disk with latest version and flash it.
then configure the bios (setting right boot order, checking all parts are detected, checking mem speeds, enable cnq)

many operating systems have a function to partition hd's, I almost always make 2 partitions or more to save your data for future formats. so you can format C and keep data on D

install os, then drivers, then security software beforey ou connect to the internet. then patch asap if you install windows.

thats all i can think of right now, i might add later, hope this helps a bit.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Discharge static electricity before you start opening platic bags. Touch a grounded object.
Good call...being barefoot helps too....if you don mind cold toes.

Before you install the mobo in the case, lay it on the bag it came in and install the cpu and maybe even the mem on it too, it can be fiddly to do it if the mobo is already screwed in the case.
Good call...install everythign you can while the mobo is out.

be carefull when adding the hsf on the cpu/mobo. but don't be fooled, the last lever can be hard to turn till the end, apply enough force on it if needed, it won't break. Make sure that the hsf is fitted correct tho.
yes, be gentle for things...you shouldn't have to apply huge preasure except with th HSF clips. The 2nd one is tricky but you should have to apply solid but not gut wrenching preasure.

Get rid of the sticky stuff that comes standard on hsf's. Any paste is better. lighter fuel will do nice.
AMD stock fans come very well off.....you dont need anything else. The other HSFs...i dont know what they come with.
And you mean to CLEAN the HSF with lighter fluid....dont you?

It might be good to remove the psu and add it in at the end. especially for connection flat cables to optical drives up top. Also it could help to remove HDD racks, fans and other mounts and put them back later when the mobo and add on cards are fitted
EXCELLENT advice....remove everything you can and add them back as you need them. the psu gets in the way like crazy if you dont install it till the end. Also you dont have to put stuff back in if you arn't going to use it. like 3.5 flooopy dirve holders.....

take your time, think where you are going to put your cables. use sticky tape and tiewraps to keep them together. wires taped to the case are so much better then wires floating around.
Yes, dont worry about making it perfect....just put them out of the way so your case will have good airflow...not so important for fan wires as IDE wires....this is obvious as to why.

if you have another working computer available, burn a cd or DVD with all newest drivers and software+ patches you can think of. especially mobo, video card, sound card, sata, scsi, raid drivers. Have a bios flash disk ready too and a bios recovery disk.
Also on that first disk with drivers and such put on spyware (adaware, spybot S&D, spyware guard)programs and some anti-virus ones as well...because downloading them from the internet you will be wide open for about 45min.

install os, then drivers, then security software beforey ou connect to the internet. then patch asap if you install windows.
if you already have a Windows XP seriel # then find a friend or someone with a SP2 install disk...this will help minimize your updates when you get online for the first time.

thats all i can think of right now, i might add later, hope this helps a bit.
This is a great step by step guide...you should add in a couple things and we can make it a sticky so people will know.

Turv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
Thanks to both of you, Ryan and Pickxx.

That is some great, and much needed advice :)

Should i update the BIOS, BEFORE installing XP?

And my XFX 7800GT came through the post today along with my AMD 64 3200+ w Venice Core.

This week i am reading all the manuals, backing up my current system and preparing disks for when i start to install.

Will start the build next friday,
Anyway, thanks to you both for your help.

Turv,

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
What id do is...to be safe... Use 4 A4 sheets of papge (normal printer paper) and use tape and make them into a square. then put the mobo onto it. use a pencil and mark the holes on the A4 sheets. Then place the paper in the case and match the marks with the holes in your case and screw away.

Another thing to be careful with is Read the manual that came with your mobo about how to connect the Power (on/off) cables if there is one thing rong the pc might not turn on.

One more piece of advice is... becareful with the Epox boards they might be cheap but thats not always good.. maybe i can talk you into MSI or asus but they are a little better but its your choice another thing that might be nice is using a Nvidia Chipset on whatever board you pick there better then the SiS or Via chipsets (normaly)
But its all preference i guess

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Epox boards might be cheap but thats not always good..

yes i completely agree...All brands have highs and lows of products...think about it...the same company that made the Feista made the GT40.....one is the worst vehicles of all time and the other dominated GT racing for 4years and caused the ENTIRE GT series to change.

I reccomend this EXoX board just because it always get very solid reviews, great BIOS for OCing (simpler then the DFI...but what isn't? lol) and usually come out about $10-$40 cheaper then its comitition without losing anything.

but good call....I can't think of one mobo maker that has great boards from top to bottom. Some dont have terrible ones, but no mobo maker is great from top to bottom. but good cautioning....

Turv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
another thing that might be nice is using a Nvidia Chipset on whatever board you pick there better then the SiS or Via chipsets (normaly)
But its all preference i guess

The EpoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra has a Nvidia NForce 4 Ultra Chipset.

Turv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2005
Just an update, Got my final part for the PC today, the power supply :D

So, i will be formatting my hard drive now, and then building it for the rest of today.

I will let you know how i get on :wink:

TRENDING THREADS