Netgear nightmare

I'm having a nightmare setting up a wireless lan with a netgear dg834gt
router. It must be me. All the reviews suggest I should have been up
and running in 20 mins. Six hours and still struggling.
Any ideas where I can find very simple help on the net?

Mojo

Malke

rockside17@btinternet.com wrote:

> I'm having a nightmare setting up a wireless lan with a netgear
> dg834gt router. It must be me. All the reviews suggest I should have
> been up and running in 20 mins. Six hours and still struggling.
> Any ideas where I can find very simple help on the net?
>
> Mojo

Here are the links you asked for.

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

There are other links that might help also, but since you didn't say
what operating system you are running there isn't any point in listing
lots of XP links.

If the above doesn't help you, post back with what you are doing and
what is happening. If you get error messages, tell us the exact wording
of them.

Very basically, most routers come with a cd and an ethernet cable. Here
are some generic steps. This assumes that you have cable or dsl and
that your Internet connection is currently working.

1. With the cable/dsl modem still going and connected by ethernet to
your computer turn on your computer (if not already on). Put the cd in
the drive. Do not have the router connected or turned on.

2. Follow the setup instructions on the cd, but usually the software
will copy over the settings it needs from the modem. If you have the
kind of dsl that needs a user name and password, the router setup will
ask you to enter those. Obviously, you'll need to know what they are.

3. At some point in the setup, the software will tell you to turn off
the cable/dsl modem (unplug) and connect the ethernet cable that used
to go from the modem to the computer to the router's WAN port (may be
labeled "WAN" or "Internet"). You will connect another ethernet cable
(usually comes with the router) from one of the ports on the router to
your computer's ethernet port.

4. Then you usually will be instructed to turn on the modem and after
its lights are all on, plug in the router. You should see lights for
the WAN connection and for the one computer now connected.

5. If you have a third-party firewall in place, allow the new local area
network (lan) as trusted. It is good to use an IP range, which will
look something like 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. The 192.168.1.x comes
from whatever the router is - Linksys routers use that address; Belkin
routers use 192.168.2.x. Refer to the manual that came with the router.

6. Depending on your operating system and/or the particular router's
setup, you may configure the router during setup. Otherwise, you can
configure the router from within a browser. Refer to the router manual.

7. You may need to reboot. Follow the setup instructions.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Have you tried to call tech support...free call for 90 days