Firewire Support

I have a lacie Mass storage device, which came with Firewire 800 and 400. I
want to backup my Windows NT 4.0 server data on the mass storage device. I
want to know, is there any firewire device which is compatible with windows
NT 4.0 Server operating system.

Check with the manufacturer of the firewaire device. Most likely there is
not as NT4 is 10 years old!!

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Giriks" <Giriks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a lacie Mass storage device, which came with Firewire 800 and 400.
> want to backup my Windows NT 4.0 server data on the mass storage device. I
> want to know, is there any firewire device which is compatible with
windows
> NT 4.0 Server operating system.

Calvin

Hi Giriks,

This question comes up here occasionally. Unfortunately, it seems the short
answer to your question is no :-(

To elaborate - I have seen a large disk array (a SCSI RAID in a separate
enclosure) connected to a NT4 Server via a firewire connection. This was about 7
years ago though. It appeared to function correctly, and was being used for
'high end' audio editing (ie: it was a 24 channel, high sample rate, 24 bit
mixing/editing suite)

The only thing I remember the guy telling me about it at the time was it had the
standard 'NT4 problem' of the array not being detected if it wasn't powered up
at system boot. if the connection to the array was lost at any time during
operation, a reboot was required to re-instate it, nothing (even things in disk
administrator) could get it back once it was gone.

So the long answer to your question is YES, Firewire is (was) supported under
NT4, but i haven't been able to find any recent information on this. If you find
anything, let us know please !

Calvin.