QUESTION: Recovery from floppy disk unreadable

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

Greetings:

I took a perfectly useable floppy disk to Kinkos to have a powerpoint
file printed. The clerk handed the floppy back to me saying that his
computer couldn't print the file. I took it home and when I went to
use it, I got an error message telling me that the disk was not
formatted!!

Is there a method or utility that can be used to recover the floppy
diskette?

Assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanx........

Quiet Voice wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I took a perfectly useable floppy disk to Kinkos to have a powerpoint
> file printed. The clerk handed the floppy back to me saying that his
> computer couldn't print the file. I took it home and when I went to
> use it, I got an error message telling me that the disk was not
> formatted!!
>
> Is there a method or utility that can be used to recover the floppy
> diskette?

Depends on how badly it's damaged.

> Assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

Let me guess... you put an important file on a floppy, and gave it away???

--
John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
personal page: http://johnbokma.com/

voice_of_reason@australia.edu (Quiet Voice) wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I took a perfectly useable floppy disk to Kinkos to have a powerpoint
> file printed. The clerk handed the floppy back to me saying that his
> computer couldn't print the file. I took it home and when I went to
> use it, I got an error message telling me that the disk was not
> formatted!!
>
> Is there a method or utility that can be used to recover the floppy
> diskette?
>
> Assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

Try RESQFLOPPY, from http://resq.co.il/iv_tools.php#Resqfloppy

Read first the text file in the self-extract package offered.

Regards, Zvi
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Quiet Voice <voice_of_reason@australia.edu> wrote:
> Greetings:

> I took a perfectly useable floppy disk to Kinkos to have a powerpoint
> file printed. The clerk handed the floppy back to me saying that his
> computer couldn't print the file. I took it home and when I went to
> use it, I got an error message telling me that the disk was not
> formatted!!

> Is there a method or utility that can be used to recover the floppy
> diskette?

> Assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

WHatever you try, make sure the floppy iw write protected in
your experiments!

You can try porfessional data recovery services, floppies are
one media where weakened/overwritten data may be recoverable.

Arno

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

Take this as a lesson to never trust any media with your only copy of anything
important to you (especially if you are going to put it into someone else's
hands).

You may have some luck if you just try to read the floppy in some machine
other than yours (even if that is where it came from originally).

If you can find anyone still running DOS (not windows 9x) that has a copy of
the old Norton utilities, there was one called DISKTOOL that had a "revive
floppy" option, which worked quite often for bad floppies.