Remedy winxp defrag modification of nt4 volumes?

Hi.

Recently i made an unpleasant discovery.

Disk with nt4 installed and defraged while attached to an
usb-cradle on an winxp client, can no longer run chkdsk,
when back on nt4 client pc.

The winxp-defrag, has changed the volume so chkdsk can´t run.

Is there any upgrade to sp6 to remedy this? or do we have
to reinstal os to be able to run chkdsk (or put the disk
back in usb-craddle)?

Regards //rbh

Rickard B Hansson wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Recently i made an unpleasant discovery.
>
> Disk with nt4 installed and defraged while attached to an
> usb-cradle on an winxp client, can no longer run chkdsk,
> when back on nt4 client pc.
>
> The winxp-defrag, has changed the volume so chkdsk can´t run.
>
> Is there any upgrade to sp6 to remedy this? or do we have
> to reinstal os to be able to run chkdsk (or put the disk
> back in usb-craddle)?
>
> Regards //rbh

You have just experienced what is commonly called
the W2K virus.

When you expose partitions with the NT4 version
of NTFS to either W2K or XP, those drives are
converted to a newer version of NTFS. No warnings -
it just trashes your NT4 partitions are you are
screwed. The NT4 version of ChkDsk doesn't know
how to handle that file system, and you may also
run into problems with other things that do low
level access to those partitions, such as defraggers,
drive imaging tools, partitioning tools, etc.

This tool may help.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfschk.shtml

--
Regards,