Diablo 3 Starter Edition Now Available to All

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]fuxxnuts[/nom]don't. its epic fail. no end game.[/citation]
Even without an end game, it's still fun. We play a lot of games without limitless re-playability. As long as you don't expect 1000's of hours of play, it's a fine game. As much as I disliked that it doesn't have the longevity of D2 did, I still haven't played a single player game more than I played D3 in a very long time.

G

Will be f2p soon, which makes perfect sense because the game really is p2w.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Even without an end game, it's still fun. We play a lot of games without limitless re-playability. As long as you don't expect 1000's of hours of play, it's a fine game. As much as I disliked that it doesn't have the longevity of D2 did, I still haven't played a single player game more than I played D3 in a very long time.[/citation]

If you enjoy giving a company $60 for a game with no end-game, no pvp, and all the promises,etc ripped out in favor for microtransactions action housing, okay. But I know better... diablo 2, and even diablo was arugably better designed than D3. (minus graphics).

Do you work for blizzard by chance, or are you just a sheep?

[citation][nom]fuxxnuts[/nom]If you enjoy giving a company $60 for a game with no end-game, no pvp, and all the promises,etc ripped out in favor for microtransactions action housing, okay. But I know better... diablo 2, and even diablo was arugably better designed than D3. (minus graphics). Do you work for blizzard by chance, or are you just a sheep?[/citation]
Forget about what they were going to put in. Forget about what D2 had. Now compare it on its own merits. The way you are so heated up about it, I can assume you played it.

Now, tell me how many hours you played it before you quit? I bet you spent over 200 hours (I've looked at many profiles, and it seems the average player in inferno has over 300 hours spent). Now tell me another game you've played that you invested so much time in.

Diablo 3 is a fail only in comparison to your expectations, but not in comparison to the rest of the industry.

Edit: and yes, I quit the game due to it's many problems. However, I can't deny that I spent more time in Diablo 3 than any non-MMO I've played in 10 years. The average $50 game gives me 20-50 hours of fun. I really good one might give 100 hours. Diablo 3 gave me 200 hours of fun.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom]if you want an end game for diablo, go play WOW[/citation]
I would say Diablo 2. Just play with close buddys via LAN and avoid Battle.net since it's mainly spam bots (at least it was when I played a month after D3 released)

the one good thing about D2 over D3 is that I can keep it on a flash drive and play it anywhere with no problem.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
dont care, I dont have time to play on this disappointment, I already spent money on torchlight 1+2. The beta alone is much better than D3.

come back to me again when D3 is 5 bucks for a full game.

The game is fun, but wears thin after you beat it about 3 times over. Pushed myself to Inferno and stopped playing. I'd look for it on sale. Definitely worth playing, but wasn't worth my $60.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom]if you want an end game for diablo, go play WOW[/citation]
I wonder why you got down thumbed when you are actually correct. Diablo 3 was developed by wow team, sounds like wow, looks like wow and plays like wow.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Ahhh so I need to find someone who actually bought it to use their disk to install.

Thats a pretty big hurdle to get over first of all.

G

@Pennanen
when we want a end game for diablo then it means a end for the franchise aswell, that means an ending worthy of diablo 2 and diablo 1.

diablo 3 doesnt need a worthy ending since thats just a shit game. they turned a franchise into a new game and fucked up the franchise in the end.

before d3 i would buy any diablo product without a question, after d3 i hate everything blizzard has been doing.

if you played diablo 2 then you will know diablo 2 has FUCKAL in common with wow, bt when you look at d3... shit starts spewing from the cracks of shitty design and always online DRM.

wow can not even remotely compete with the great store and lore of diablo, wow is like a universe for ages 8- 15 and diablo & starcraft is for 17+. dont even try to defend wow, when i played wow every second person i played with was younger then me when i was 17. when i played aion i was the youngest person on the server, it was epic to have a mature game, with people who dont just scream random garbage and thinking running forward and backwards into a plant makes it look like you are having sex with it.

blizzard KILLED diablo, they wont release another diablo title for atleast another 5 years, especialy after this horrible game.

the only noteworthy good thing of diablo 3 was combat animations, but even those were so buggy, probably fixed by now,

so please people save yourself from this shity ARPG and get a proper game, torchlight 2 is just around the corner.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I think D3 is a more or less decent game through the first playthrough, even though I found it a bit easy. If you played it like a game you weren't going to try to complete through the additional playthroughs - Nightmare. Hell and the infamous Inferno - it's one with relatively decent story (I say relatively because we are, after all, talking Diablo and Blizzard devs here) and very nice graphics.

As you play through it again though, at the higher levels, the game's fundamental flaws show up more and more. Your character running away from those mobs about to kill you can stop to pick something up off the ground you hadn't intended (since the all-encompassing action button, the left mouse click, works for movement as well as everything else), allowing the mobs to catch you, or more likely the AoE damage they are spewing out to kill you because you couldn't get away fast enough.

Click-to-move is fine, and having a single action button works for most games, but tying these things together makes for a very frustrating experience at times, in a game the very definition of "challenging fight" IS frustrating experience; it is nothing more than a continual upgrade of AoE tactics that you have to survive again and again, all while being CC'd* in some way to prevent you from getting away from the AoE. This is why I stopped calling the game a good one with flaws, and started calling it a badly designed game with some good elements.

So, yeah, played as a once-through, it's worth $60, in my opinion, but to tell the truth I hate it so much at this point I don't want to recommend it even that much. It's just a bad game once things get to a decent level of challenge, then the poorly designed controls whip your hiney more than anything else. It's not impossible to get all the way through Inferno, and I can't help but admire the few who are able to deal with the game's control shortcomings and lack of intelligent design in making challenging fights to get all the way through the last level playthrough (Inferno). It's a lesson in "frustration management", a course in which few are up to the challenge.

* CC'd - for those not familiar, "CC" is short for "Crowd Control", and it comes from MMORPGs. Originally, it meant a spell or ability a player could use on a mob to take it out of a fight in some way - freeze it in place, stun it, etc. Now it stands for any type of effect that causes a mob or player to lose ability to move normally. "CC'd", or "Crowd Controlled" in D3 means being frozen on place, blocked by magic walls, that kind of thing, and the higher the level the more of these kinds of movement-impairing attacks happen. You can be stopped from moving several times, stacked on top of each other so you can't take a step in between attacks, have walls built entirely around you (you can even get stuck in a single wall that's cast on top of you) - as I say, "Frustration" with a capital "F".

;)

[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Forget about what they were going to put in. Forget about what D2 had. Now compare it on its own merits. The way you are so heated up about it, I can assume you played it.Now, tell me how many hours you played it before you quit? I bet you spent over 200 hours (I've looked at many profiles, and it seems the average player in inferno has over 300 hours spent). Now tell me another game you've played that you invested so much time in.Diablo 3 is a fail only in comparison to your expectations, but not in comparison to the rest of the industry.Edit: and yes, I quit the game due to it's many problems. However, I can't deny that I spent more time in Diablo 3 than any non-MMO I've played in 10 years. The average $50 game gives me 20-50 hours of fun. I really good one might give 100 hours. Diablo 3 gave me 200 hours of fun.[/citation]
I completely agree!
I played Final Fantasy 7 back in the day and maxed out everything in the whole game, all levels and all magic. Took just over 100 hrs. While most RPGs only take about 40ish or less. With Diablo 3 I've already played over 200hrs and all of my characters (each class) are only on Nightmare.
How?
1st - I have 1 character of each class plus 2 hardcore characters that died and 2 more hardcore characters that are still alive. All of my non-hardcore characters are at the beginning of Nightmare.
2nd - I'm not rushing to the end, skipping everything. Quite the opposite actually I'm killing everything and doing everything. I'm taking my time to enjoy the game itself because I think all "end games" are stupid. I think I would actually enjoy getting the achievments MORE than I would any type of "end game".

Here is 1 MAJOR gripe I have about this game: 5 characters all made it to nightmare, killed everything in the game explored everywhere with each character and not 1 ledgendary drop. I think Blizzard is making sure that the low level ledgendary drops are only presented at or near the end game so that if a low level character on normal wants a ledgendary item they will be forced to use the auction house. And the characters that find these will be at too high of a level to need or want them. The annoying thing about this is all my characters are at about the same point of progression. I don't have any characters at or near the end game. This and the stupid always connected requirement of thier DRM are what happen when business gets in the way of gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.