CD writing (burning) speed

Assume the following:

1. The CD writer is rated at 52X
2. The blank CD-R is certified at 52X
3. The computer can handle this speed

Is the quality of the resulting CD as good as if it had been burned at a
lower speed? Since the 'burning' process is a physical thing it would seem
that when devices / materials are pushed to the max the results might be
borderline. 52X is supposed to be the praactical limit for CD writing. I
have read a few articles that imply one is better off sticking with a
somewhat slower than maximum speed. Any facts or opinions?

Ryan

Theoretically it should be able to handle it and not make a difference.
However, when burning music CDs I have noticed a difference in speeds. When
I push it to the max, the CDs seem to have a little bit of static, and if I
cut the burning speed in half they're fine. This is not the case for
everybody though. The best thing to do is to try and find out. With
regular data, the speed isn't very important because the information is very
forgiving compared to music and video. Though it shouldn't make a big
difference, brand of CD can also have an impact.

"Cooter" <cooter8@msn.com> wrote in message
> Assume the following:
>
> 1. The CD writer is rated at 52X
> 2. The blank CD-R is certified at 52X
> 3. The computer can handle this speed
>
> Is the quality of the resulting CD as good as if it had been burned at a
> lower speed? Since the 'burning' process is a physical thing it would seem
> that when devices / materials are pushed to the max the results might be
> borderline. 52X is supposed to be the praactical limit for CD writing. I
> have read a few articles that imply one is better off sticking with a
> somewhat slower than maximum speed. Any facts or opinions?

I burn at about 1/2 - 3/4 speed even though I have a fast PC. I get
problems recording at maximum speed

Also, some older CD players can't handle high speed..

John A