disk i/o error

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 25, 2004 2:05:03 PM

I'm trying to repair a friend of mine's computer. When I start it up it
gives me this message:
disk i/o error
replace the disk, and then press any key

I'm not sure if he's running NT but I assume he is because it is an old
machine. How do I determine this and how do I repair the problem?

More about : disk error

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 9:29:44 AM

Does it do this when you try to boot off the hard drive or when you try
to boot with a diskette? Disk I/O errors usually mean that the disk or
drive is defective or failing. Usually but not always... If you are
trying to boot from a diskette when the error occurs try another
diskette, or try booting off a CD. If that fails go in the BIOS and
reset to default settings. If still no go check the drive cables to
make sure that they are properly seated. The age of the machine is no
indication of what operating system might be on it. It could be
anything. If the pc was bought new as a home pc it most likely doesn't
have NT on it unless the user ugraded or changed to OS.

John

!