phillyp1982

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Is there a real big difference between the two? I just bought a 19" Samsung, only to find that it has no DVI input. I'm getting an X1800XL soon, I know it comes with a dvi to vga converter but if DVI really makes a big difference then I would exchange my monitor for one that has DVI.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It depends on what exactly you do with your system.

If you're mostly gaming, it probably won't matter.

If you're doing graphics design it probably will matter.

If you're working with a lot of text, it depends on how much slightly fuzzy text ticks you off as to how much it'll matter. (Personally, fuzzy text drives me nuts.)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Well, DVI is always better because the signal starts out digital, stays that way, and ends up digital. Going via the VGA cable means it starts out digital, gets converted to analog on the card, travels to the monitor in analog and gets converted back to digital by the monitor for display.

Usually there is very little difference but there is the possibility of noise being introduced into the picture or bad conversion hardware (mostly a thing of the past though)..

Never tried it for games, but my 17" LCD here at work is fine (plenty sharp) even at max resolution (1280x1024) with a VGA cable.

Mike.