Heatsink Material?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
What is better to cool with, aluminum, copper, or both?

I'm looking for the best cooling solution (other than water) for a p4 prescott 3.4ghz lga775

I'm thinking Zalman 120mm deal

Thoughts?

(mb is asus p5ad2-e deluxe)

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah... some aluminum solutions actually do a better job than copper. Like Rich said, it just depends on the design. I would look into reviews of HSF solutions for that prescott. Just google "LGA775 heatsink fan review" or some such shit.

EDIT: copper transfers heat better than aluminum, however when it comes to disapating heat, aluminum usually does a better job. For this reason you'll see a lot of hybrid solutions. Like copper heatsinks for the CPU die and then aluminum surrounding the copper.

-mpjesse

shawnlizzle

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
you need to retake your physics class -_- heat transfer is equal in obtaining and dissapating heat. so alu can't be "better" at releasing heat than copper

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
you need to retake your physics class -_- heat transfer is equal in obtaining and dissapating heat. so alu can't be "better" at releasing heat than copper

Good news....you are right and wrong.

Copper can pick up the heat better from the CPU because it can have a better metal to copper heat transfer and then the al could actually give up the heat to air with less effort.

When you are talking about the same things....you are right....heat transfer means in and out of heat. but if the in is metal and the out is air sometimes there can be a change.....

just a thuoght,i haven't looked this up and frankly i dont care.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004

I'm looking for the best cooling solution (other than water) for a p4 prescott 3.4ghz lga775

Thoughts?

Si-120....it will fit your board, get a nice fan at around 35-40cfm and less then 22Db and you have a GREAT cooler for a stock P4E

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005

Thoughts?

Si-120....it will fit your board, get a nice fan at around 35-40cfm and less then 22Db and you have a GREAT cooler for a stock P4E

The SI-120 isn't for lga775...

I'm thinkin maybe the Zalman 120mm copper/alum deal-e-o

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read my Thermaltake Big Typhoon review at SysOpt. You'll learn that the Big Typhoon is a sloppily made cooler with an extremely poor mounting kit, and still works better than just about anything else.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Alright....if you were going for HSF which one? Si-120? Scythe ninja, zalman one? With the SI-120 and ninja wha fan do YOU choose to go with ti for maximum OC without getting insanely loudness?

Also what watercooling kit is the best?
I have been asked and i know none are perfect but i dont even know which are less F*cked up then the others.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I have read MANY reviews of the SI-120 and the XP-120 and the Scythe ninja, and the Zalman but i have neevr seen any review put them all through the same test setup.

I am just curious what YOU would chose.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Thats sweet....i think an SI-120, AS5, and a nice hig flow high preasure fan would be VERY nice for a setup. thats the way I would go personally.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
The SI-120 isn't for lga775! :(

I looked at my case setup and I can't go with the Zalman 7700 one either...
(Antec P-180, the heatsink would interfere with the case's 'roof' installed fan)

Are any of the pre-packaged watercooling kits any good?

I was also curious if I had a watercooling kit, could I take the fan off the radiator and stick the radiator into one of those $60 mini six pack refrigerator's you can get at walmart? :)

Or would that cause condensation?

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Get the SI-120. So you'd have to buy the LGA adapter but thats cheap. Don't go zalman as the SI-120 is a better performer, and the Big typhoon is to hard to install.

Mayiko

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I have a very similar setup and I am looking at getting the XP-120. I have read a lot of reviews and they all say it is awsome. Anyone recommend it from first-hand experiance?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Ahh...

Didn't know about the adapter :)

I will most likely go with the SI-120 due to the fact that the Zalman 7700 will interfere with my top case fan (antec P-180), took a look and I'm sure it would with my board...

I will most likely put a tri-cool fan on it so I can run it at the faster speed if needed... <--- good idea/necessary?

Fan recomendations?