Dell Latitude Com Port and NT4 Help please

Hi,
Firstly apologies if this is the wrong group.
I write code using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 for the company I work for.
The code uses COM1 (RS232) to communicate with our production equipment and
has been working well for a long time (8 years or so).
All of this time we have been using Dell GX110 Desktop PCs.

We now also have a Dell Latitude Notebook, and the same code just won't
initialise/write/read the COM1 port of the Notebook! All the Desktop PCs are
fine.
Incidentally, I know that the COM1 port is otherwise OK as I can loopback
pins 2&3 and echo characters from the keyboard if I use terminal.exe!

All systems use Windows NT4 SP6.

Any ideas welcomed.

--
paul.g.king@theobviousdsl.pipex.com

As always check Event Viewer for errors.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]