Changing Hard Drives

On my old computer, I was running Win NT4 which had a 1.2GB hard drive. I
then purchased a 20GB hard drive to replace the old one, but was unable to
format it with Win NT. So, I had the new hard drive formatted with Win 98.

I've since upgraded my computer and I swapped the 20GB (Win 98) from my old
machine to the new one and placed the old 1.2GB drive(NT4)back to my old
machine.

Upon boot up my old machine has found the 1.2GB drive (NT4), but I get the
following message: "BOOT: I/O error reading disk please insert another disk"

I suspect that the machine is still looking for the Win98 configuration upon
boot up. How can I get my computer to recognise the Win NT4 disk?

Thanks very much for your help.
1 answer Last reply
More about changing hard drives

    My first guess would be that the old (1.2) drive is being selected as the
    boot drive. Assuming that both drives are IDE and making the further
    assumption that you have a CD or DVD attached to your second IDE, try the
    following.

    Disconnect the CD and attach the 1.2GB drive to the CD. If you have an extra
    80-pin IDE cable, you can swap it out, but this test is just to check if we
    can see both drives. Boot up. If you can boot at this point, but can't see
    both drives, then check the Master Slave jumper settings on the 1.2GB drive
    and retry (for this it should be set to Cable Select or Master).

    Assuming this works, reset the jumpers on the both drives to Cable Select
    and plug them back into the primary IDE making sure that the new drive is at
    the end of the IDE cable. If it fails at this point, then make your new
    drive Master with your old drive the Slave.

    Rehook the CD and hopefully you will be in business.

    Side note: depending on such things as the phase of the moon and the day of
    the week, you may need to go into disk manager and assign a drive letter to
    the 1.2GB drive.

    Ken

    "digeratia" <digeratia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On my old computer, I was running Win NT4 which had a 1.2GB hard drive. I
    > then purchased a 20GB hard drive to replace the old one, but was unable to
    > format it with Win NT. So, I had the new hard drive formatted with Win 98.
    >
    > I've since upgraded my computer and I swapped the 20GB (Win 98) from my
    > old
    > machine to the new one and placed the old 1.2GB drive(NT4)back to my old
    > machine.
    >
    > Upon boot up my old machine has found the 1.2GB drive (NT4), but I get the
    > following message: "BOOT: I/O error reading disk please insert another
    > disk"
    >
    > I suspect that the machine is still looking for the Win98 configuration
    > upon
    > boot up. How can I get my computer to recognise the Win NT4 disk?
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help.

Computers Boot Hard Drives Windows