Sign in with
Your question

Silence For The Holidays

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2005 6:47:51 PM

I'm looking at adding a 3rd party fanless heatsink to my Leadtek A6600 GT TDH (Geforce 6600GT AGP8X). Any suggestions?

I know that Zalman makes a couple. I also ran across the Thermaltake Schooner. Any others? What's the best fanless heatsink that I could get for my card?

Alternatively, is there a notably better performing AGP8x card that uses a fanless (or extremely quiet) heatsink? The key here is quiet. :) 

More about : silence holidays

December 7, 2005 7:12:06 PM

GOOGLE IT like you always say to others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Related resources
December 8, 2005 12:40:31 PM

Quote:
GOOGLE IT like you always say to others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
1) I only say that to blatantly obvious easy to find thigs. This however is more a matter of opinion, to compare the options available.
2) Obviously I did Google it or else I wouldn't have come up with the Thermaltake Schooner, which totally blew me away as up until now I'd never known that Tt cared about GPUs.

So :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: to you.
December 8, 2005 1:24:46 PM

lol :lol: 

I brought a gigyabyte 6600gt which has a silent heatpipe heatsink no fan and it works great even at OC, The cards description is below you might be able to find the heatsink somewhere for sale.

256Mb Gigabyte PCI-E NX66T256DE GF6600GT 128bit DDRII SLI SilentPipeIC Edition
December 8, 2005 1:51:19 PM

Quote:
ASUS Extreme Silencer is one
I can only fine PCIe, not AGP. And I'm not looking for a new 6600. I'm looking for either a fanless heatsink for my existing 6600GT or a new fanless 6800.

Although the Asus SilentCool technology looks really damn cool. It's just too bad that it's not available by itself to modify an existing card. (Or for that matter, not on an AGP 6800GT.)

Quote:
and Gigiabyte has a silent cooler for the 6600...
Can't find independant heatsink from Gigabyte. Their fanless AGP 6800 (GV-N68128DH) looks okayish. Really, it doesn't seem like it's much better than my 6600GT in performance. And the reviews on it seem to say that it runs damn hot because the cooler is barely sufficient for the task. So all in all, I'm not really too impressed there, but it is an option.

Quote:
and you can use an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 on a GeForce 6600GT AGP
According to http://arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php not a single solution exists for an AGP 6600. Besides, those have fans. Fan = evil.

And I'm sure that you didn't mean to link to the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5. :lol: 

I appreciate the help, but I'm not sure that I'm any better off than I was before. :?
December 8, 2005 1:56:06 PM

Quote:
lol :lol: 

I brought a gigyabyte 6600gt which has a silent heatpipe heatsink no fan and it works great even at OC, The cards description is below you might be able to find the heatsink somewhere for sale.

256Mb Gigabyte PCI-E NX66T256DE GF6600GT 128bit DDRII SLI SilentPipeIC Edition
I can't seem to find any just heatsinks from Gigabyte. They seem to be full card only. And unfortunately, the card reviews that I've read of Gigabyte's fanless AGPs (namely the plain 6800) say that the card is just barely cooled. It runs hot. And unless it's a 6800GT, I doubt I'll bother with a full new card.

But thanks anyway.

And actually, it really looks like no one gives a darn about AGP anymore. All of the really interesting fanless cards are PCIe. Is it too much to ask for a fanless AGP 6800GT? :( 
December 8, 2005 1:59:09 PM

So far I'm still leaning towards the Thermaltake Schooner. It's kind of goofy looking, but the reviews are pretty positive on it. I'll have to double-check the clearance I have to my northbridge heatsink, but then I'd have to do that for any fanless card. (Well, that or dremel grind myself some extra clearance if necessary.)

Does anyone know of a better passive cooler than the Thermaltake Schooner?

(And damn I really wish Asus's funky cooler came independant of a card.)
December 8, 2005 3:57:00 PM

Bah these guys know nothing about silence. IF you want the experts(though some take it to the extreme) goto Silent PC Review in the Video Cards Forum is a list of passive video cards.
December 8, 2005 4:43:27 PM

Quote:
Bah these guys know nothing about silence.
While this may be true, I'd like to at least give them the benefit of the doubt for a little longer than that.

Quote:
IF you want the experts(though some take it to the extreme) goto Silent PC Review in the Video Cards Forum is a list of passive video cards.
While I appeciate the thought, and the site has a good purpose, I must say that site looks very horribly laid out. Plus, I'm not really looking to sign up to yet another forum. :( 

I'm also not sure why you've linked to a F@H discussion. :?
December 8, 2005 6:37:15 PM

A shameless bump. 8)
December 8, 2005 6:46:46 PM

Let the "extreme" link load it will take you to the post I'm talking about.

Anyways you said you were looking for a fanless heatsink, I told you where to find people that will know, not my problem if you can't stand their layout.
December 8, 2005 7:46:45 PM

touchy. :cry: 
December 9, 2005 4:31:10 PM

Quote:
touchy. :cry: 
:lol:  Right. :lol: 
December 14, 2005 2:18:37 PM

Huh. You all got pretty silent.

So far I'm leaning towards just picking up a Thermaltake Schooner and modding my 6600GT. Spending a fortune on a whole new video card that barely performs better just because it has a silent heatsink kind of seems silly, you know?

Suggestions? Comments? Personal attacks?
December 15, 2005 4:26:05 AM

The problem is the fans, obviously.

q: is the system only too noisy when it's hot or even when it is idling/just booted up?

The fanless mods are frankly put, nearly worthless as they stress the card to nearly its failure temperatures. So what you need is a fanless card AND a method of cooling it - either a fan on the heatsink or better yet, look into a water-cooling solution.

Now, if the system is too loud even at idle, then it's likely a matter of the case itself being the problem.
1:D itch the intake fan. Open up a slot somewhere or drill a round hole in the side panel and just mount a grille there.
2:remove all grilles and obstructions to the fans and replace with thin gauge round-wire screen/finger guard(s). This may require getting the tools out and hacking off the rear exhaust areas on your case.

The backpressure on most systems is immense. Optimally, you want your fans pulling air in ONLY, and all at the rear. 120mm fans going slowly make nearly no noise, and if there is a big open hole in the case for air to come in(I prefer opening a 3.5 bay), there is no need for the intake fan.

My system:
- Rear fan cover removed(Dremel) - zero backpressure now.
- Slot fan installed two slots away from the graphics card - hardly EVER goes into high-speed fan mode anymore, even during games.
- front 3.5 bay opened up and intake fan removed.
- cpu switched to a HUGE passive heatsink with a fan. I just wanted a bigger heatsink - the slower speed fan was my idea, win-win - hardly can hear it.
Before - the system was holwing at at least 65-70db. Now, it's barely making 40db. Same temperature. If I went to water-cooling, it would drop even more as the case would be cool enough to allow the video card to finally be passively cooled. Passive graphics, water-cooled cpu, and one 120mm exhaust fan - the ideal combo for "where's the computer?" :) 
December 15, 2005 1:12:31 PM

Quote:
The problem is the fans, obviously.
Right. Which is why I want as few as possible in my silent PC.

Quote:
q: is the system only too noisy when it's hot or even when it is idling/just booted up?
No. It's darn near silent. And I'd like to make it even quieter, hence the desire for a fanless graphics card.

Quote:
The fanless mods are frankly put, nearly worthless as they stress the card to nearly its failure temperatures.
I would think that depends a lot on airflow, something which I don't have a problem with. But this is also why I'm trying to find the best fanless mod to use. I want this puppy to be fanless without riding the edge of a thermal death.

Quote:
Now, if the system is too loud even at idle, then it's likely a matter of the case itself being the problem.
I'd suggest you look at my autosig. :?
December 15, 2005 2:46:35 PM

Lol. Nice sig. Then water-cooling and a passive gpu cooler are your only options. The CPU and the video card - either one passive without something drastic done to the other(essentially removing the heat-load entirely) is just going to be too hot.
!