URL Shortcuts . . .

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 28, 2004 11:05:04 AM

Is there a way to force a URL Shortcut to open itself in a new browser window
as opposed to grabbing an already opened browser window?

Basically, I've got a couple browser based applications that each launch via
a URL shortcut in a users Programs folder. However, what is currently
happening is a user launches the first application, gets where they need to
be, then needs information from the second application. When they launch the
second URL shortcut it automatically grabs the window opened by the first
shortcut.

Makes it very difficult for our users to move information back and forth
between these two applications.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : url shortcuts

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 11:35:05 AM

I neglected to mention above that using a shortcut to IEXPLORE.EXE may not
work. We've got several versions of Internet Explorer running . . .
installed in various locations. We can't be sure what machine a user may log
on to and where that particular machine may have Internet Explorer.

Thus the reason we hope to use a URL shortcut, since it calls IEXPLORE
wherever it may be.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 8:55:57 PM

This articl might help:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241911

From within IE:
Tools / Internet Options / Advanced:

Uncheck the box for:
Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts

Do do this on several machines, you'll probably want to edit the registry
directly.
Here's an export of the path / value you'll need to change:

---BEGIN-NewBrowser.reg---
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"AllowWindowReuse"=dword:00000000
---END-NewBrowser.reg---

--
MikeVa [MSFT]

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias.
This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
--
"Brian Starks" <BrianStarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I neglected to mention above that using a shortcut to IEXPLORE.EXE may not
> work. We've got several versions of Internet Explorer running . . .
> installed in various locations. We can't be sure what machine a user may
> log
> on to and where that particular machine may have Internet Explorer.
>
> Thus the reason we hope to use a URL shortcut, since it calls IEXPLORE
> wherever it may be.
October 29, 2004 1:48:12 AM

Brian Starks <BrianStarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<7F40A2AD-23F7-498D-A243-DEB34A1A6EF7@microsoft.com>...
> I neglected to mention above that using a shortcut to IEXPLORE.EXE may not
> work. We've got several versions of Internet Explorer running . . .
> installed in various locations. We can't be sure what machine a user may log
> on to and where that particular machine may have Internet Explorer.
>
> Thus the reason we hope to use a URL shortcut, since it calls IEXPLORE
> wherever it may be.

You may not have noticed this before but if you will open a url from
the Start Menu|Favorites list it WILL open in a new window, not so
if done from ie's Links in the address bar. I've read where the
Start Menu is opened via explorer.exe and the Links list is opened
via iexplore.exe and this is supposed to explain the difference in
behavior. If the above is true, it might be possible to make a
shortcut to explorer.exe and send it the url to achive what you
want? Never tried it, good luck and there is this.
Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=130510
!