Upgrade and OEM OS with an OEM upgrade?

Yatzi

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hello,

I'd like to upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium that came installed on my laptop, using the Anytime upgrade, to Windows 7 Professional. Will a registration key from an OEM version work or do I need to supply a key from a retail version?

Thanks

Yatzi

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

I am about to buy a laptop with Win 7 Home Premium pre installed. I have the option to upgrade to Win Pro for $134 or Ultimate for $184. These sound like OEM prices to me. I find it hard to believe that they are going to format the drive to install an upgrade for that price. I strongly suspect the upgrades are not retail products and if not how can they do this?

Yatzi

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Since no answer to my second question was forthcoming I researched it so I can now answer it myself. No, I *do not* need to buy a key from an authorized dealer and spend that ridiculous and criminal amount of money, I can buy an OEM and just do a clean install. Yes, that upgraded version will be bound to my computer like the other one but I don't need to spend $250 to $300 just for some additional features if I want to put a little work into it myself. Think that sound like a viable option rather than to be further ripped off by MS.