Closed

How to change NTFS from Win2K/XP version to NT4 version ???

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 30, 2004 12:16:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc (More info?)

I have a hard drive from an NT4.0 (SP6) computer that was transiently
connected to a Win XP computer as a slave drive.

As a result, it's file system is now NTFS version 3.1. When removed
from the XP computer and re-installed in the original computer it does
seem to operate properly - except for any of the native drive tools
such as error checking, de-frag, etc. I believe for the system to
totally return to "normal" the NTFS file system needs to revert back
to version 1.3.

And just so we're clear - I'm not interested in tools or work-arounds
as far as the drive tools goes to cope with NTFS version 3.1. I want
to roll the NTFS back to NT's native version.

I've looked into Partition Magic (version 8.01) but it doesn't seem to
have any option to convert NTFS partitions to specific versions.

So, is it possible to change the file system back to the original NT4
version?
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 12:53:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

AFAIK it isn't possible.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"NT Guy" wrote:

| I have a hard drive from an NT4.0 (SP6) computer that was transiently
| connected to a Win XP computer as a slave drive.
|
| As a result, it's file system is now NTFS version 3.1. When removed
| from the XP computer and re-installed in the original computer it does
| seem to operate properly - except for any of the native drive tools
| such as error checking, de-frag, etc. I believe for the system to
| totally return to "normal" the NTFS file system needs to revert back
| to version 1.3.
|
| And just so we're clear - I'm not interested in tools or work-arounds
| as far as the drive tools goes to cope with NTFS version 3.1. I want
| to roll the NTFS back to NT's native version.
|
| I've looked into Partition Magic (version 8.01) but it doesn't seem to
| have any option to convert NTFS partitions to specific versions.
|
| So, is it possible to change the file system back to the original NT4
| version?
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 1:30:57 AM

Dave Patrick wrote:
> AFAIK it isn't possible.

Well, it may be possible to make it NTFS 1.3 but you'd loose all the
data. Tools such as Partition Magic, et al.
October 31, 2004 1:30:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

That path doesn't meet the OP's criteria.

--

"Joe Christl" wrote:
| Well, it may be possible to make it NTFS 1.3 but you'd loose all the
| data. Tools such as Partition Magic, et al.
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 11:23:34 AM

Dave Patrick wrote:
> That path doesn't meet the OP's criteria.

I get the feeling that there IS NO PATH that will mee the OP's criteria.
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 11:23:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup (More info?)

Correct!

--

"Joe Christl" wrote:
| I get the feeling that there IS NO PATH that will mee the OP's criteria.

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:03:34 AM

NT Guy <NT@Guy.com> wrote:

>So, is it possible to change the file system back to the original NT4
>version?

Nice multi-post.

Well, it is possible. Copy everything off the drive, delete the
partition and then create a new one. Except for this crude method you're
probably lost.

JK'04
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:24:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc (More info?)

also some NT aware backup tools can be used. Procedure is similar to copying
to another driver.
However with backup tool you usually need not to care about ntfs permissions
like you should with simple copy-to-another-drive method (tip: there is
utility in winNT reskit called scopy.exe, that can copy files and folders
with permissions between two ntfs partitions).

"Jan Kannemacher" <varros@gmx.de> píse v diskusním príspevku
> NT Guy <NT@Guy.com> wrote:
>
> >So, is it possible to change the file system back to the original NT4
> >version?
>
> Nice multi-post.
>
> Well, it is possible. Copy everything off the drive, delete the
> partition and then create a new one. Except for this crude method you're
> probably lost.
>

> JK'04
Anonymous
April 5, 2009 6:52:35 PM

You need to create another ntfs partition in NT4, then copy all the files to that partition then delete any hidden system information and recycle bin(s) from the new partition. Delete the original partition and receate another one, then simply copy all the files back.
As a check if error check the partition (automatically fix filesystem errors) then NT4 will be able to complete this task if the partition is NT4 ntfs
April 7, 2009 8:11:02 AM

You may be 5 years too late with that info. Why revive a dead thread?
August 4, 2010 11:52:32 PM

I managed to convert back ntfs to v1.1 using partion magic. First ntfs v3->fat16 and then boot to nt4 and from cmd convert c: /fs:ntfs :bounce:  And now i got old ntfs :lol:
August 16, 2010 10:24:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!