Strange Home Networking issue

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

Two WinXP Home Pc's.

192.168.1.100 - Wired
192.168.1.101 - Wireless with an installed printer.

Both connect to a Linksys Router WRT54G 192.168.1.1 which has a
connection to the internet.

The other day, I installed a VNC Server service onto the wireless
machine, so I could help troubleshoot the box when the user was having
trouble.

Internet connection is fine for both.

Soon after, I noticed that my pc (the wired one) had a new ip on the
LAN, 192.168.1.102. The Wireless' IP had remained the same.

However, the wired cannot ping or print to the printer of the wireless
machine. Internet connection is still fine for both, and we can both
ping the router.

Here's what I just found out. I manually changed my IP to an assigned
IP, 192.168.1.100, which is back to what it had been before.

Now I can't see the internet, but I can ping the wireless machine and
the router.

So the gist of it is - the wired box can see the internet if I let the
system automatically assign an IP, but if I need to print something or
do some Multi-gaming I need to manually set the IP to 192.168.1.100.

What can I do to get this weird behavior resolved?
Thanks for your patience,
Joe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

When you manually set the IP address on the machine connected via ethernet
you likely forgot to set a gateway 192.168.1.1 (most common error). I assume
you set a network mask because printing is working.

Look to see what IP addresses are assigned to what MAC addresses. If a MAC
address apprears that does not belong to you then either turn on MAC
filtering or wireless encryption. It is possible that a your TCP/IP lease
expired & a neighbour is piggy-backing.

Let us know.

mickane wrote:
> When you manually set the IP address on the machine connected via
> ethernet you likely forgot to set a gateway 192.168.1.1 (most common
> error). I assume you set a network mask because printing is working.
>
> Look to see what IP addresses are assigned to what MAC addresses. If
> a MAC address apprears that does not belong to you then either turn
> on MAC filtering or wireless encryption. It is possible that a your
> TCP/IP lease expired & a neighbour is piggy-backing.
>
> Let us know.

Here's what I had before the change:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : STEWART20
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mellonbank.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking
ontroller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-A6-8B-66-EE
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 204.xxx.xxx.x
216.xxx.xxx.xx
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 31, 2004
8:18:05 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 01, 2004
8:18:05 AM

Okay I went in and changed the "automatically assigned" to
192.168.1.100, along with the Default Gateway mask to reflect that of
the Linksys router of 192.168.1.1.

.... And now I see that the DHCP Server and DNS Servers line disappears,
as well as the Lease Obtained and Lease Expires. and I loose all
internet connection.

I may have forgot to mention, that I am connected via Cable modem from
the internet to my Linksys Router/Gateway. The Cable Modem's IP to the
internet has never changed.

I guess I could manually set them as well, to the values above. But
what I don't understand is why is this happening all of a sudden? The
issues seems to be something corrupted between the wired pc and the
Router/Gateway...

Joe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

You'll also need to manually enter in the DNS server IP addresses.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Dave Patrick wrote:
> You'll also need to manually enter in the DNS server IP addresses.

Okay that works - When I manually set the settings as indicated above, I now have internet access
and lan access. But why do I only have LAN access if I maually set it the pc to 192.168.1.100

Could something have corrupted to cause this to happen?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Without the DNS server IP addresses IE (or any other browser) has no means
to resolve names to addresses.

--

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Without the DNS server IP addresses IE (or any other browser) has no means
> to resolve names to addresses.

No, I understand that.

What I'm trying to understand, is why, all of a sudden, when I allow the
LAN connection to assign stuff "automatically" It won't allow me to
connect to my home network, but I do get internet... AND why is it
suddenly assigning my wired PC to .102 instead of .100??

The Linksys gateway starts things out at 192.168.1.100, and there's only
two pc in this home network... the other pc is already at .101,

.... why suddenly is the first pc now getting assigned as .102 without
lan access?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

1.) From a command prompt;
ipconfig /all
in both instances may reveal something. WINS, or DNS, or the browse master
list also enter into this. They don't correct and or update instantly. These
may also help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188001
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q149941/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q117633/
;134304]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];134304

2.) The router's inbuilt DHCP server is not immediately aware the IP address
is no longer in use.

--

Dave Patrick wrote:
> 1.) From a command prompt;
> ipconfig /all
> in both instances may reveal something. WINS, or DNS, or the browse master
> list also enter into this. They don't correct and or update instantly. These
> may also help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188001
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q149941/
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q117633/
> ;134304]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];134304
>

> 2.) The router's inbuilt DHCP server is not immediately aware the IP address
> is no longer in use.

Ahh... Thanks. I'll look into those links. I also wonder if a router
reboot is in order.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Nothing really to do with the router.