2 Computers, 1 wireless router

We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the living
room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook up
the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the router
in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:54:01 -0700, Ascertain20 wrote:

> We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
> basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
> downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the living
> room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
> setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
> internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook up
> the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the router
> in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
> somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

One issue with vertical separation of the units is the nature of radio
signal emission. Imagine dropping a doughnut on the antenna, so the antenna
is poking up through the hole. The doughnut shows the radiated signal. You
may need to reorient the antenna to angle that doughnut toward the basement
location.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

I would take the downstairs computers and put near the main computer (to
rule out Distance problems), configure the connection and make it works.

Once you make it working, move the computer back to its intended location.
If it stops working you might have a Distance problem and you might need to
extend the Wireless distance.

The best Method to Extend Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific
Envioroment.

Look at these pages they describe most of the options that are within the
means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you envioroment
best.

http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ascertain20" <Ascertain20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
> basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
> downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the
living
> room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
> setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
> internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook
up
> the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the
router
> in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
> somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

However, when we hook up the router, the downstairs computer can access the
IP address of the router in Internet Explorer.

Unlike the others I hear you saying the wireless is working, or appears to
be here. So tell me instead about how you are connecting to the internet? Is
it a dial-up connection? Or do you have sometype of broadband connection
connected to your wireless router? If you go to the computer downstairs and
do | Start (menu) | Run | CMD click OK | Ping 199.41.238.41 do you see
something like this;

Pinging 199.41.238.41 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 199.41.238.41:

or do you see something like this,
Ping request could not find host 199.41.238.47. Please check the name and
try again.

--
David {MVP}
Microsoft Mobile Devices

benefit of all of us...
The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

rights...

Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
their life by correcting me.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 05:58:42 -0400, David {MVP} wrote:

> Is it a dial-up connection?

The D-Link DI-524 Wireless router the OP mentioned does not have a means of
connecting to a dial-up modem.

http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=316&rid=1083&sec=0

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

LeRoy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do you have any cordless phones located in the vicinity of the computer
having the connection problem?
If you do, are they 2.4 ghz? If so, they will definetly interfere with the
signal transmission betwee the router and computer.

"Ascertain20" <Ascertain20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have 2 computers, 1 upstairs in the living room, one downstairs in the
> basement. We bought a D-Link DI-524 Wireless router so the computer
> downstairs could share internet access with the computer here in the
> living
> room. The computer downstairs is running Service Pack 1, btw. We got the
> setups both downstairs and upstairs working, but we can't seem to get the
> internet access working on the downstairs computer. However, when we hook
> up
> the router, the downstairs computer can access the IP address of the
> router
> in Internet Explorer. Is there any way we can work around this or fix it
> somehow short of buying maybe an access point or something else?

I am well aware of that fact, that is why I asked the question. How the OP
connects to the internet becomes important in this case. :) And while it may
not attach physically to what most people think of when one says dial-up, it
can be used with a dial-up connections sometimes.

--

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:39:33 -0400, David {MVP} wrote:

> I am well aware of that fact, that is why I asked the question. How the OP
> connects to the internet becomes important in this case. :) And while it may
> not attach physically to what most people think of when one says dial-up, it
> can be used with a dial-up connections sometimes.

How does a router with no connection to a dial-up device make a dial-up
connection?