jdunster

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
I have a DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra D mobo with only 1 FW port. I bought a Belkin 6 port (powered) FW hub (part # F5U526-WHT) hoping that I would be able to use it the same way as a USB hub. It does not seem to work like that however.

I am hoping to have several external FW drives and a FW scanner hooked up to the hub.

Can any of you advise about the best way to set up the mobo for multiple FW ports? Would it be better to add a FW card?

I have read a bit about the bandwidth associated with FW. I don't think it likely that I would be using all of the ports at any one time, but I do want to avoid constantly plugging or unplugging items.

Appreciate any ideas (well, the good ones anyway).

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
.... I suppose if ur external HDD are using 6-pin IEEE1394a ports, most of them come with 2 ports (one of them to the computer, the other to the next device) unless they are like the Firewire iPods. I don't suppose you need to use more than 1 port since the devices are connected like a daisy chain fashion (comp->device1->device2->device3->...)

so I suppose you only need 1 port of 6-pin to hookup every single one of the 6-pin devices
(it's also a good idea to connect the scanner next to the drive which use it the most)

(I have no idea about the 4-pin ones, but the 9-pin ones for IEEE1394b comes with usually, 2 ports of 6-pin IEEE1394a)

Just in case if you don't have that luxury of 2 ports on HDD (4-pin mobile drives?)check the mobo for onboard IEEE1394 Connectors, then get a bracket for another one, if there is still not enough, then go get a card

mpjesse

Splendid
Firewire works on a daisy chain system. You have to successively connect drives like the dude above me said. It's a pain in the ass.

But, most motherboards have additional firewire headers.

Also, you can get another card.

I have a PCI firewire card i'm not using- wanna buy it? It's got 3 ports. $15 including shipping. I accept paypal. :) Lemme know... It's made by adaptec.

-mpjesse