CreativeOne

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2005
Well I purchased a 120 gig drive (Here)

I also have 4 ports for SATA on my new mobo, I am really a newbie when it comes to the new technology nowadays. I am assuming the HD i just bought is IDE, Can I use this cable to convert to SATA? Or will you have to buy a seperate drive maid for SATA?

Cable converter

Thanks Guys!

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Maybe not, but there are ones that you'll get ridiculd for, like "What does 1 + 1 equal?".

That said, I haven't seen any SATA to IDE conversion cables, so I don't think it'll even be worth looking for. The link given for the drive links to WDs IDE line, so take that what you will.

As for options, should your mobo not have IDE channels on it (unlikly), it should have at the very least some PCI slots, so you should be able to get an IDE controller card for <$50 that you can plug the drive into. Probably <$20 even.

CreativeOne

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2005
Thanks for making me feel better about asking that question! As for the motherboard. I happen to have bought the
ECS 939 Nforce

Just got a 120 gig drive for 50 and a gig of ram for 70. I dunno I think I made out like a badit.

CreativeOne

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2005
Well I need your input since I have you on the line. Ive never built a PC before. I currently have a P3 733. :oops: with 256Ram.

This is what I have bought so far.
Case
Ram
Motherboard
Hard Drive

The only thing I havnt really bought yet is the AMD. I was thinking of going cheap and getting the Athlon 3000. I dont know at $136 I need to start thinking of my own personal funds LOL.

Are there any weaknesses I should be aware of before this hits paydirt?

Thanks guys!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, horrible price on the drive, you could have delt with a real online store and gotten a similar price on a larger model.

Second, the board supports 4 SATA and 4 IDE drives. You don't need an adapter.

Now, there was some complete idiot who came in here and kept asking what adapter he should use in spite of the fact that I kept telling him he didn't need one. He finally left. I get the feeling he probably bought an adapter and will figure out he didn't need it in about two years, when he goes to replace the system.

CreativeOne

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2005
Well I knew I already had IDE on the board. I was mearly looking for faster SATA access.

As for the hard drive.... Yea rookies tend to make mistakes! :(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ebay is usually a mistake for computer hardware, unless you're a seller!

SATA makes zero difference over IDE, drives are still limitted by their internal components rather than their interface.

RichPLS

Champion
Dude, unless I am mis-understanding you, that is a cable converter, so your ATA drive can connect to one of your 4 SATA ports. One drive only can hook up to one SATA port...