DESKTOPS DONT NEED TO DOWNCLOCK?

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
Ok so today i got my new HP media center. Athlon 64 X2, 1 gb of ram, ... etc.. I dont normally buy off the shelf pc's i usually like to build them myself. But i dont have the cash and i was able to get this one on payments. Im only having one issue to far... the cpu has some kind of built in cpu downclocking. going from 2.2 to like 900 mhz and anywhere inbetween. This seems ridiculous to me on a desktop, because to me a desktop is all about power. Anyways, does anybody know how i can disable this BS, I would really appreciate any suggestions. thanks.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Oh god. If the cpu clocks down, it uses less power so it runs cooler and the cpu fan can spin down to reduce noise. Who'd ever want that as a feature? What were AMD and Intel thinking? Obviously they weren't.

Anyways it can be disabled in teh bios (since you'll want no chance of it ever happening) or you can set the power scheme to anything but minimal power savings.

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
I dont care if my computer is loud.. i care if it chuggs. Im not sure of the option in bios.. i cant seem to see it.. any ideas what the option would be?

endyen

Splendid
It's called cool & quiet. I disabled it in bios. You can probably do the same. Not as sure thing though, since OEM bios are not know for thier flexability.
If that cant be done, you could join our folding @ home team. The F@H program keeps your chip running @ full speed, but only uses the cycles that you dont.

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
yeah i dont have a cool and quiet option.. guess its time to email tech support..i hate stock machines. I have a laptop that downclocks and it bothers me.. i want the power to be at my fingertips all the time.

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
you can call it whatever you want.. but my computer hasnt frozen up yet.. things are much more instant.. and smooth.. and my computer isnt loud at all. but thanks for your help man.. thats what i came looking for and i got it..

The CPU will downclock to save power / reduce heat only when you are not putting any load on it - for example you don't need all 2.2Ghz just to word process or browse the internet.

The moment you load a CPU intensive app the CPU will instantly clock back up to meet demand. The speed change is invisible to the user. What's more - The CPU downclocks in stages, so if your doing something mildly stressful it won't run at just 900Mhz.

sturm

Splendid
Sounds lika another case of "I need 3.8ghz so my internet will run faster!" people that dont understand how things work.
I run cool and quiet on mine and cant tell when its normal or underclocked

Tesla

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2002
Sounds lika another case of "I need 3.8ghz so my internet will run faster!" people that dont understand how things work.
I run cool and quiet on mine and cant tell when its normal or underclocked

Exactly. The only reason not to run it is if your overclocking as there is apparently some compatibilty issues.