Event Viewer Access Violation

When Event Viewer is launched, a Dr. Watson error is generated:
Eventvwr.exe
Exception Error: 0xc0000005, Access Violation
Address: 0x77892dbf

No changes have been made to the system. I have searched on the Microsoft
website and Internet for this specific error, and have had no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about event viewer access violation

    Hi Dan,

    my suspicion would be that you have one or more corrupted event logs sitting on
    your system, and Event Viewer is choking trying to read them. Typical Microsoft
    code, so badly written that a corruption in the database causes the whole
    programme to fall over !

    You will probably need to clear the corrupted logs off your machine to get
    operation back to normal. I'm not 100% sure on how to proceed, having not
    personally confronted this problem myself.

    A quick search of the knowledge base yields:

    172156 - How to Delete Corrupt Event Viewer Logs

    I'd suggest have a read of this, it may help. Perhaps somebody with relevant
    experience may like to comment.

    Calvin.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    I tried the fix to remove the corrupted event log files. The problem still
    exists......i have tried every thing I can think of.

    "Calvin" wrote:

    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > my suspicion would be that you have one or more corrupted event logs sitting on
    > your system, and Event Viewer is choking trying to read them. Typical Microsoft
    > code, so badly written that a corruption in the database causes the whole
    > programme to fall over !
    >
    > You will probably need to clear the corrupted logs off your machine to get
    > operation back to normal. I'm not 100% sure on how to proceed, having not
    > personally confronted this problem myself.
    >
    > A quick search of the knowledge base yields:
    >
    > 172156 - How to Delete Corrupt Event Viewer Logs
    >
    > I'd suggest have a read of this, it may help. Perhaps somebody with relevant
    > experience may like to comment.
    >
    > Calvin.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Hi Dan,

    did the proceed provided my Microsoft actually work ? (ie: did you actually
    manage to delete the event log files from the system ?)

    Calvin.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    I was able to delete the files. When I restarted the service, they were
    recreated (of course). The problem is still there.

    "Calvin" wrote:

    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > did the proceed provided my Microsoft actually work ? (ie: did you actually
    > manage to delete the event log files from the system ?)
    >
    > Calvin.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

    Hmmmm,

    Can't say I've ever seen or heard of this problem before. In past, everybody who
    who struck this problem has met with success by deleting the corrupt log files.

    Obviously, in your case, the problem is more deep-seated than we thought. Anyone
    else got some ideas?

    Calvin.

Event Viewer Microsoft Windows