Help needed for PSU problem

fotios

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2005
I am trying to built a computer, I did it once before back in 2001 and lots have changed since then. After assembling all the components I tried to start it but nothing happened. I show in another post that maybe the start button is to blame but the motherboard (Abit AN8 Ultra) has a LED (5VSB) when the power supply is connected with the power source, so that should be ON even if the power button is malfunctioning.

The part that I am not that confident I did right is the 24 pin (ATXPWR1) and 4 pin (ATX12V1) power connectors. I connected both of them to the motherboard. Do I have to use the 24 pin by itself? The 20pin in one and the 4pin in the other connector?

What about the power supply? I just got one of those modular ones and I use only 3 of the available cables: one for the two case fans, one for the HD and one for the optical drive. The graphics card does not seem to have a power connector on it so I dont use the PCI express power leads at all. Is there a problem with using only a fraction of the available power connectors?

Then there is the problem of the power and LED leads that connect the mobo to the case. On the motherboard there are little “+” signs indicating polarity but on the cables there is only a small triangle with an S next to it. How do I find which way it is the right polarity to connect them?

Any other suggestions of what else might be wrong?

The systems components are

Thermaltake Soprano
500W Enermax ELT500AWTor
Lite-On SHW-1635S
Sapphire Radeon X800GTO PCI express
Hitachy Deskstar 7K250
AMD Athlon 64 3200 Venice
Abit AN8 Ultra
2xCorsair XM3200C2PT

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
If the mobo has a 24-pin socket, you plug all 24 pins into it. If it only has a 20-pin socket, you disconnect hte 4 pins and plug in the other 20. There's also a 4-pin mobo power connector that plugs into the 4-pin socket by the CPU.

Not all video cards have a need for extra power connectors, they get enough power from the mobo. Unused connectors are not a problem.

The triangle indicates the "+" side. In any case, for switches (power button, reset switch, etc.) polarity doesn't mean anything (plugged in backwards works just as well), and for lights if its plugged in backwards the light won't light, but it won't do any harm - just reverse the polarity and it'll light up.

Mike.

fotios

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2005
Thank you for the reply Mark. Of what you say I have it connected the right way.

The light I am talking about is not the case light but the motherboard light that comes on when the computer is connected to the mains.