How many incoming connections?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

All,

I understand that both Windows XP Home and Profession have limits on the
number of incoming connections. Before deciding whether to upgrade from
Windows NT Server to XP Profession or Server 2003, I need to figure out how
many connections are in use at a time - how do I do this?

I need to do this on Windows NT Server.

BTW, don't bother telling me that NT Server allows lots of connections as
the system is probably overspecced for what is required - question is do I
have a sufficient "safe" zone to move to XP Pro or do I need Server 2003 - I
need to find out!

Thanks,
Paul DS

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:34:49 -0000, "Paul D.Smith" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>All,
>
>I understand that both Windows XP Home and Profession have limits on the
>number of incoming connections. Before deciding whether to upgrade from
>Windows NT Server to XP Profession or Server 2003, I need to figure out how
>many connections are in use at a time - how do I do this?
>
>I need to do this on Windows NT Server.
>
>BTW, don't bother telling me that NT Server allows lots of connections as
>the system is probably overspecced for what is required - question is do I
>have a sufficient "safe" zone to move to XP Pro or do I need Server 2003 - I
>need to find out!
>
>Thanks,
>Paul DS

Paul,

One connection, in most cases = one computer connecting as a client to the
computer in question (but read the fine print):
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314882

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

From a command prompt;
net sess

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Paul D.Smith" wrote:
| All,
|
| I understand that both Windows XP Home and Profession have limits on the
| number of incoming connections. Before deciding whether to upgrade from
| Windows NT Server to XP Profession or Server 2003, I need to figure out
how
| many connections are in use at a time - how do I do this?
|
| I need to do this on Windows NT Server.
|
| BTW, don't bother telling me that NT Server allows lots of connections as
| the system is probably overspecced for what is required - question is do I
| have a sufficient "safe" zone to move to XP Pro or do I need Server 2003 -
| need to find out!
|
| Thanks,
| Paul DS
|

| --
| Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

Hello

Win HM gives you 5
Win XP Pro gives you 10
Win 2000 server and Win 2003 unlimited.

Alvin

"Paul D.Smith" wrote:

> All,
>
> I understand that both Windows XP Home and Profession have limits on the
> number of incoming connections. Before deciding whether to upgrade from
> Windows NT Server to XP Profession or Server 2003, I need to figure out how
> many connections are in use at a time - how do I do this?
>
> I need to do this on Windows NT Server.
>
> BTW, don't bother telling me that NT Server allows lots of connections as
> the system is probably overspecced for what is required - question is do I
> have a sufficient "safe" zone to move to XP Pro or do I need Server 2003 - I
> need to find out!
>
> Thanks,
> Paul DS
>
> --
> Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

What do you mean by "incoming connections"? Are you talking about
Remote Access connections? I believe NT4 Server can simultaneously
handle or allow 256 of those. Check "Remote Access Admin", there might
be something there that shows how many RAS connections are going on.
You might also be able to track this through a PerfLib counter but I
don't know which one. You can almost bet your bottom dollar that if NT4
Server can't handle the demand XP Pro won't do, you'll have to go to
Server 2003.

John

Paul D.Smith wrote:
> All,
>
> I understand that both Windows XP Home and Profession have limits on the
> number of incoming connections. Before deciding whether to upgrade from
> Windows NT Server to XP Profession or Server 2003, I need to figure out how
> many connections are in use at a time - how do I do this?
>
> I need to do this on Windows NT Server.
>
> BTW, don't bother telling me that NT Server allows lots of connections as
> the system is probably overspecced for what is required - question is do I
> have a sufficient "safe" zone to move to XP Pro or do I need Server 2003 - I
> need to find out!
>
> Thanks,
> Paul DS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

> One connection, in most cases = one computer connecting as a client to the
> computer in question (but read the fine print):
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314882
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

At the risk of sounding a little rude, I read the article, understand what
it says but this doesn't help me since I can't, without a lot of effort,
figure out what service may/may not be running as distinct users. Since the
pair "computer:user" defines a connection, a single computer can have
multiple connections.

What I want is a tool which unequivocally tells me "you have X connections
used".

Thanks,
Paul DS.

"Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Win HM gives you 5
> Win XP Pro gives you 10
> Win 2000 server and Win 2003 unlimited.
>
> Alvin

I know - but how many am I currently using?

Paul DS

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> From a command prompt;
> net sess
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

You're a star. Thank you very much!

Paul DS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc (More info?)

You're welcome.

--

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> What do you mean by "incoming connections"? Are you talking about
> Remote Access connections? I believe NT4 Server can simultaneously
> handle or allow 256 of those. Check "Remote Access Admin", there might
> be something there that shows how many RAS connections are going on.
> You might also be able to track this through a PerfLib counter but I
> don't know which one. You can almost bet your bottom dollar that if NT4
> Server can't handle the demand XP Pro won't do, you'll have to go to
> Server 2003.
>
> John

I never said that NT4 server couldn't handle the demand. My wife's boss has
a very small office and currently runs Windows NT4 Server. My suspicion is
that this is totally overspec. so the question is can she upgrade to Windows
XP Pro and save the cost of Windows 2003 Server? I can't say unless I
determine the number of sessions.

See other post. Apparently "net sess" is the command for me!

Paul DS

TRENDING THREADS