Sign in with
Your question

homebuilt system upgrade, 3 options.

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2005 2:26:29 PM

hey all.
I currently have a home builmt rig that consists of
asus k8vse deluxe mobo (s754, no agp lock mobo)
Amd 3000+ 2000 mhz
2*512 corsair value ram (non matched)
wd 3200 caviar hd
radeon 9800 pro agp vid card
sb audigy player
Anyway, i'm thinking about doing an upgrade but I could use some advice.

I have 3 routes to go

first option
buy a new agp vid card to stretch the life of the rig a bit longer
this is the cheapest option but agp cards are limited.
i could get a 6600gt for about 180€ or a radeon ax 850 xt for about 500€ the 6600 gt is only a small upgrade if i compare the benchmarks and the 850 xt is overpriced imho, especially since a 7800gt would only cost me 400€ but is not available for AGP :( 

second option
buy a new mobo, one for s754 and a 7800gt for about 400 for the vid card and 70 for the mobo, this allows me to keep using the cpu and the ram.
MSI K8N NEO3-f, i don't know if this is any good, i've been using alot of msi for friends because i like them, but are not well known with this particular mobo.

for a third option i could do a big upgrade of mobo, mem, cpu and vid card. This would set me back the most but produce the best results.
I'd probably go for a 3500+ or 3800+, msi k8n sli platinum, 2 sticks of 1gb ram and a 7800gt.
but it would cost me definetly the most.

I'm hesitant to replace the cpu and the mem because they do fine still imho
The best option for me seems the second option. With a little luck i can overclock the cpu a good deal, and it's the cheapest acces to pci-X. It also allows me to keep using my cpu and mem, wich are decent enough still for most games.

My needs are built around games, and photoshop.

So any ideas? what would you do if you were me, or what wouldn't you do?
Thanks in advance
December 8, 2005 3:54:15 PM

In your case, I'd go with option 2: s754 with PCIe and a new GPU. I'm not a huge fan of MSI so I'd look for a different board...
December 8, 2005 4:45:58 PM

Quote:
pci-X.

PCI-X is a server-class extension to PCI. PCI-e (PCIe, PCI-E) is the generally accepted abbreviation for PCI-Express. (just to avoid confusion in the future)

Ditto Rugger's points.

Wonder if you can get an AGP version of a 6800GS, they're priced a little lower than 6800GT's in the US. If the price is right, may make a good option.

Mike.
Related resources
December 8, 2005 7:37:10 PM

They haven't released the GS in AGP...:mad: 
December 8, 2005 7:55:34 PM

Quote:

Grrr :x

Thanks.

Mike.
December 8, 2005 8:00:02 PM

Bastages...Oh well - I'll be putting together a new build within the next 6 months and it will bring me into the world of PCIe.
December 8, 2005 11:07:45 PM

I guess a full upgrade isn't worth the money.

options for a agp card currently are.
ATI X800VE All in Wonder 256MB VIVO/DVI AGP8x OEM + software € 199.9
Sapphire ATI X850XT Platinum VIVO/DVI 256MB € 490.62
Gainward 6600GT 128Mb ViVo/DVI 6589 € 169
ASUS AX850XT/HTVD Radeon 256Mb DDR3, TV-out, DVI, HDTV € 510
MSI NX6800LE-TD128 AGP Geforce 6800 LE, 128Mb DDR, TV-out, DVI € 255
MSI RX800XT Platinum-VTD256, VGA Radeon X800XT 256Mb DDR3, TV-out, Vid... € 573

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.. 300-400 segment is not represented.
I don't think any of the +500€ cards are a match for the 7800gt + pci-E mobo and the -200€ cards don't seem like real upgrades to me. Not sure about the X800Ve but can't seem to find benches of it right now. if it's comparable to a XL or XT it might be nice. but if it's a beefed down version it's not worth it.

so options for s754 pci-e mobo are
Asus K8N4E Deluxe PCIe nForce4 € 82.16
MSI K8N Neo3-F € 70
coupled with an asus en 7800 gt for 350€
guess i'm going to have to go with this option.

Any comments on any of the boards ?
anyone have any experience with any of these mobo's or can link me to some reviews ?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
December 9, 2005 12:12:40 AM

Quote:

YET!!!!
One is comming.
December 9, 2005 12:14:34 AM

option 1 isn't bad if you are a casual gamer and dont mind playig at 10x7 at high settings.

the X850XT would be a nice choice to upgrade to. It would be much faster then what you have. Its not top of he line but its good...and it would give you anoher year or two on your computer and you could save up for a HUGE swapout in about a year or two.

but option 2 isn't bad either....
December 9, 2005 1:28:52 AM

problem with option 1 is the fact that a x800 would set me back even more then a pci-e mobo + 7800gt while it delivers less performance in most benches. Also if i get a new mobo, with pci lock i could overclock higher, further increasing the lifespan.
Unless i can find a nice agp card in the 300-400 price range, I should go for option 2.
i hear rumors of a x 1600 agp......
December 9, 2005 1:59:11 AM

Quote:
problem with option 1 is the fact that a x800 would set me back even more then a pci-e mobo + 7800gt while it delivers less performance in most benches. Also if i get a new mobo, with pci lock i could overclock higher, further increasing the lifespan.
Unless i can find a nice agp card in the 300-400 price range, I should go for option 2.
i hear rumors of a x 1600 agp......

An X850XT is HELLA good and its not eve close to the price of 7800GT let alone 7800GT+PCI-E mobo.

Do you live in the US? Try this...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102492

WHOA i just checked the prices have gone WAY UP since i last looked. I was going to get an X850XT for a small upgrade and they were around $215....now they are like $300.....

this card is great, cheaper then ANY 7800GT i have seen and doesn't requie a new mobo.

but option 2 is looking better..lol. For $70 more you could have a BEAST gpu and a new mobo.
December 9, 2005 2:15:16 AM

since I posted all my prices in euro's it's safe to assume I live in europe ;)  belgium to be more specific
Prices from europe compared to US are seriously borked. One would assume that with a pretty strong euro compared to the dollar, they would be cheaper here but that doesn't seem to be the case but that's a whole diffrent story.
That's why I added the prices.

I can't seem to find a x800 850 near the 200-300 price range, the only thing i can find is the X 800 VE all in wonder, but i can't find any stats on it. The low price compared to the fact that it even has videao capturing abalities seems to suggest that it's a seriously beefed down version of the x800.
December 9, 2005 2:30:50 AM

Sorry, i read about 50 of these a day.....i once i am done posting i move on...lol

Hook a brother up with some waffles.

ANYWAY!! There is a version of the X800XT that is the AIW version that is cheaper then the X800XT....why? who knows? it performs the same....with ADDED FEATURES and is cheaper....link me to that card you found.

Sorry about the price differences....its hard on yu non-americans. We get the best pricing models a lot fo the time because we are so awesome and use irrational things like Inches, feet, pounds, oz, cups, quarts, gallons...lol
December 9, 2005 2:35:17 AM

the only thing i know about the card is "ATI X800VE All in Wonder 256MB VIVO/DVI AGP8x OEM + software € 199.95" I can't click the link so no extra information. Maybe i should call the store and ask.
it's not specified asa XT, but a VE.
If it would deliver 800 pro or better performance, it would be my next buy, but i'm not sure yet.
December 9, 2005 2:42:53 AM

I would call them and ask for an ATI model #.....then google the number and my guess is the X800 AIW would pop up, and thats what you want.

no comment on the waffle joke or about us using crazy measurements? :cry: 
December 9, 2005 4:14:49 AM

Quote:
I would call them and ask for an ATI model #.....then google the number and my guess is the X800 AIW would pop up, and thats what you want.

no comment on the waffle joke or about us using crazy measurements? :cry: 

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do.

hehe if you ever come to belgium I might buy you some waffles, chocolats or a few beers. :) 
December 9, 2005 5:23:36 AM

If i come i would love some waffles....i am not a hueg choc fan, its good but i love it....and i dont drink beer, haven't found one that doesn't taste like what i imagine aligator piss to taste like.
January 23, 2006 8:45:45 PM

So after giving it some more thought i went and bought a msi MSI K8NGM-v Socket 754 and a msi nx7800gt. Have installed it last night but haven't run any games on it yet, but it all seems to work ok. The reason i bought it was because it's dirt cheap and still has all the options i need. and i like msi, i have worked with Abit, MSI, asus mostly and like MSI best.

I just can't seem to find how to change the voltages and the bus speeds/multiplyer.
I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Just in case anyone likes to know what i decided eventually

Ryan
!