installing new antivirus software causes problems

Several questions please:

1)I seem to recall reading somewhere that I sould re-install my SP6 after
installing any new software. Is this a good idea?

2)After trying to install the trial version of F-prot Antivirus, numerous
errors (memory, password, sharing violations) occurred all pointing to
hundreds of "irp stack too small" errors in my event log. After research, I
used regedit to adjust the value up to 7 (it was at 4 for no apparent reason
since the default for SP6 is 7). Since this registry change, all the errors
have stopped, but I am unable to un-install the program either through
add/remove programs in control panel, or the uninstall menu option that came
with the program. Any ideas?

3)anyone with experience here with either F-prot Antivirus by Frisk Software
or AVG Network Edition Antivirus by Grisoft? I have a small office network
with one NT4 file-server and several Win98SE boxes and the occassional XP
laptop.

Thanks for any advice.

Calvin

Hi Stareem,

I have used both F-Prot and more recently AVG, and have never encountered
problems with either package, though I thought F-Prot is a bit slow :-(

My suspicion is that one or more other software packages you have installed on
this PC have changed one or more system Kernel OS files, causing compatibility
problems with the antiovirus software. Unfortunately, this problem is far more
commonplace than a lot of people (particularly Microsoft) are prepared to admit.

Without a lot more detail, I'm unsure what to advise you to do. What
specifically goes wrong with your attempts to uninstall the failed anti-virus
software. It may be neccessary to manually uninstall and cleanup if the
uninstall process provided has been rendered inoperable.

A suggestion for future reference for you: Before I install ANY new software, I
take a 'snapshot' of what my Boot partition looks like using 'FileImg' from the
NT Resource kit. I then take another 'snapshot' after the installation is
complete, and run a comparison. This allows an accurate audit of what PRECISELY
has been done the PC and the OS particularly.

Calvin.

Thanks for your quick response. To answer your question-nothing happens when
I try to uninstall the program. The pointer blinks once when I try the
uninstall option with the program, and nothing happens when I try through
control panel.

Is "fileimg" a utility on my NT disk? We have such a simple set-up, I
rarely need to go back to the original disk.

I do a back up to tape every night, (i'm not remembering if I back up system
files along with data files...)is there some files I can look at to get
similar information to compare from one night to the next? It's been more
than a year since any changes to this system have occurred.

Regards.

starreem wrote:
> Several questions please:
>
> 1)I seem to recall reading somewhere that I sould re-install my SP6
> after installing any new software. Is this a good idea?
>
> 2)After trying to install the trial version of F-prot Antivirus,
> numerous errors (memory, password, sharing violations) occurred all
> pointing to hundreds of "irp stack too small" errors in my event log.
> After research, I used regedit to adjust the value up to 7 (it was at
> 4 for no apparent reason since the default for SP6 is 7). Since this
> registry change, all the errors have stopped, but I am unable to
> un-install the program either through add/remove programs in control
> panel, or the uninstall menu option that came with the program. Any
> ideas?
>
> 3)anyone with experience here with either F-prot Antivirus by Frisk
> Software or AVG Network Edition Antivirus by Grisoft? I have a small
> office network with one NT4 file-server and several Win98SE boxes and
> the occassional XP laptop.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Have you tried installing it again over the current installation, then
trying to uninstalling it ?

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Calvin

Hi Starreem,

FileImg is part of the NT 4.0 RESOURCE KITS - a separate publication from
Microsoft that gives you a large (or several large) book with a lot of useful
technical detail and a CD with even more useful utilities.

You can get part of the full set of Resource Kit Utilities, which includes
FileImg from Microsoft as a free download.

Have a look here:
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/ntkit/default.asp
(caution, long URL may wrap)

As to your current uninstall failure, the suggestion from Steve in another
answer in this thread is a good one I think, re-install the failing application
again on top of itself, then try uninstalling again - it may then correctly
uninstall.

Hope this helps,

Calvin.