Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Finding a Case/PSU

Last response: in Components
December 8, 2005 2:33:36 PM

I just currently built this system:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

eVGA 256-P2-N515-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Desktop PC - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail

I have a mid-tower ATX case already, but I read that it would probably be best to go with a full tower for SLi. Also, what is a good SLi certified psu?

Thanks.

More about : finding case psu

December 8, 2005 4:12:11 PM

What was the reason you heard for going full tower?
The only thing a full tower would give you is more room for drives and room inside the case. If the reason you heard is because of temps thats not always true. Make sure you case has good airflow thru it and youll be fine. Just because a case is bigger doesnt mean its better.
As far as the power supply goes, look at the antec, emerex, and the pc power & cooling line of psu. Not sure on anyone exact model as I dont run sli (yet)
Related resources
December 9, 2005 5:03:29 PM

I built a system for someone with that first case you linked and I thought it was junk. (They picked it). Cheap thin metal and cheesy construction.

I agree with sturm on the full tower. I only use them for systems with large raid arrays or CD/DVD cloning arrays.

At work I've been using antec solution cases and I've been very happy. They bundle decent PSUs, are well made and generally silent. If you want flashier I've built 3 or 4 of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

and been very happy.

Chieftec, Antec, Coolermaster, Lian Li and many others make great cases with both conservative and more extreme styling. I've yet to see anything from Aspire that impressed me.
December 9, 2005 5:30:22 PM

I bought that Aspire Superalien one.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a SLi certified PSU. I'm not upgrading to two vid cards until the new year, so will a 500W non-SLi certified PSU work for now?
December 11, 2005 2:55:54 AM

I recommend this one with another fan added to the exhaust location. I've tested it extensively, what we have here is an inexpensive case ($60 without window or power supply), and the added in power supply is fairly stout. I'm currently running one with a Prescott/SLI settup.

The case is very solid and among the quietest I've tested. The stock cooling sucks...but moving the front fan to the rear cures that, better still just add a fan.
December 12, 2005 1:23:37 PM

I've used some similar CoolerMaster models and I agree, they're excellent.
!