Sign in with
Your question

networked modem

Last response: in Networking
April 21, 2003 3:32:05 AM

I know that a DSL modem can go directly in to a eather network. Is is posable to do that with a 56k modem. If so how.

To display the whole situation,
I want my notebook to connect to the internet with in the wireless range of my wireless hub. I also dont need the speed of DSL and dont want to pay for it. I basically need a way to hook up just a external 56k modem to my 10/100 eathernet hub.

More about : networked modem

April 21, 2003 4:08:18 AM

Probably won't be able to find any hardware solution that allows a modem to hook up to a hub. What you can do is use a connection sharing software(Proxy or routing software) of some sort if you have a desktop on your network. The software can make the connection on demand and then the connection would would share the modem connection from that computer. This would however require that the desktop be turned on.

GK

Yes, I made it past newbie w00t.
April 21, 2003 5:13:13 PM

yes, that is your only solution. there is a way to do that with a router, but the router will cost you at least 600 dollars, then another 250 or so for the GBIC modem card to put in the router. then you have to configure the router, its not simple, you cant just read the manual.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
Related resources
!