Can my system use 64 bit win 7?

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I just bought this laptop, it came with vista basic-32bit.
I'd like to put windows 7 on it and i figured i might as well get the 64 bit version.
I'm pretty sure the processor is ok for 64 bit bit, i just wanted to make sure no other componants need to be OK'd for it to work. Or if you have any other comments to make feel free, thanks!

i will be buying a full version of Windows 7 -64 bit (so a full/fresh install)

here is the specs (copies from the order reciept)

1 Inspiron 14 - 1440 Laptop
1 14.0 inch High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife
1 32BIT Operating System CD
1 Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini Card
1 320 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
1 32BIT Operating System CD
1 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)
1 Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
1 PowerDVD Software
1 Software
1 Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
1 Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
1 Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled
1 8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
cool
if i find our there indeed are 64-bit drivers,
is that the kind of thing that upon installing the OS it will find them online? or will i most likely have to manually install them ?

You probably want to download the WiFi and ethernet driver in advance and save them to a flash drive or burn them to a CD, so you can connect to the internet immediately. The others you can manually download online or from Dell.com. The operating system will find some of them.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
The difference is you don't get a box/user manual with the OEM version, but you can usually save quite a few dollars. Other than that, home premium oem is the same as home premium in the retail flavor.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

slightly misleading info there...

the OEM version also doesnt include any software support, so you dont get to call MS if you have any isses. the liscence is also non transferable, so if you decide to get rid of the laptop, the windows liscence goes with it and you cannot install it onto a new system without repurchasing.

i knwo they aren't to do with instalation, but i think OP needs to be aware that OEM isnt just an OS without a box.

longshanks23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

I have a 32 bit vista machine and have downloaded the 64 bit student upgrade for win 7. How were you able to do a clean install with the upgrade download?