Looking to buy at TV Tuner Card with MCE

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Hi all,

I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to TV Capture cards. But here is what i'm looking for.

-I have Direct TV and want to Record HDTV quality with my computer, use it as a DVR (I have windows mce 2005)
-Need to copy some old VHS tapes of family stuff for safe keeping.
-Also plan on buying a new tv soon (with hdtv, duh ;-) )and would like it to be compliant with the tv card.

A friend of mine said that since I have windows MCE 2005, I should get a card that is specifically compatible with the card i'm looking for. Any feedback on a specific card would be appreciated! Here's my computer info:

AMD 64 3200+
2x512 ram (1gb total)
ATI x700 video card (AGP card, 256mb ram)

Thanks!

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I notice it's $150 but I may do it. Cheaper would be better but I can't complain if it does what I want it to.

Thanks for the info.

rashod0

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
thanks for that tidbit, i mean i'm not dumb enough to know that Best Buy would rip you off but wow, thats a huge savings right there!

thanks for the feedback!

Bobk

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
Any luck with DirecTv and your pc? I have an old Ultima RCA tuner for my DirecTv and want to run this to my pc (via "channel 3" of my pc. I don't know what kind of card I need.

Did your's work OK?

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
-I have Direct TV and want to Record HDTV quality with my computer, use it as a DVR (I have windows mce 2005)
-Need to copy some old VHS tapes of family stuff for safe keeping.
-Also plan on buying a new tv soon (with hdtv, duh ;-) )and would like it to be compliant with the tv card.
AMD 64 3200+
2x512 ram (1gb total)
ATI x700 video card (AGP card, 256mb ram)

Thanks!

You won't be able to record copy protected HD TV from channels like HBO, Showtime, from within WMCE 2005 regardless of the tuner card you use. Look at Tivo HD STB or DirecTV, as I believe these permit recording copy protected HD.

You really don't need WMCE to copy VHS tapes. Windows Movie Maker in a plain WinXP box can do it. Most tv tuners have s-video in and/or composite video in, so all you need to do run a cable from the VCR to the tv tuner.

The best way to record the VHS to your hard drive is with a miniDV camcorder with analog video in port and 1394 video out. Connect the VCR to the analog video in on the camcorder. Run a 1394 cable from the camcorder to a 1394 port on the computer. Then record with Windows Movie Maker or third party app like Intervideo WinDVD Creator, which is great for this.

I recommend the miniDV camcorder because the camcorder converts the analog from the VCR into digital video by the time it gets to the pc. There is virtually no loss in video data or quality of the video on the VHS tapes.

I think the brand or type of HDTV is irrelevent. What you are looking for is a "HDTV ready" set with a DVI or HDMI port. You will use the DVI on the graphics card to connect to the TV. This configuration suggests that you have one or more HD tuners inside the WMCE pc.

But, also, a TV with "built-in HD tuner" will do just fine as well so long as it, too, has a DVI port. However, in this case, you might consider getting a TV two DVI ports.