Overclocking my RAM

prometheas

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
Timings are 2.5-4-4-8 and the mem is kingston (not sure what type)... which timings do i lower and do i change voltages or is overclocking not nessesary... system specs in signature...

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Is the RAM value RAM? Not that it really matters though. What voltage is it running at now? I don't want to tell you to crank the voltage up to 2.9 and then say go ahead and lower the timings and crank up the speed. Thats the way I would do it, but I have Performance RAM with the whole heatspreader thing.

My suggestion: Crank up voltage a few notches (like from 2.6 to 2.8 or something small). Then try dropping off the timings. if its running at 200mhz, I bet you could get 2.5-3-3-6 or 2-3-3-8??? I really have no idea. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Timings are 2.5-4-4-8 and the mem is kingston (not sure what type)... which timings do i lower and do i change voltages or is overclocking not nessesary... system specs in signature...

my advise is to ignore what the guy said above me.....
First off when you are OCing you should test to see how high your cpu can go without your ram geting in the way, then test to see how high you can go with your ram.

my guess is you have value ram....use a ram divider, dont worry about the timings.

going up in speed and down with timings is a joke....they are two things that are opposites.....

FIRST FIGURE OUT MAX CPU SPEED WITH A RAM DIVIDER, THEN!!! Worry about ram....

mpjesse

Splendid
Jacking up voltage doesn't mean you'll get better timings. In fact, it's extremely unlikely he be able to lower the timings on that RAM w/o serious stability problems. That's IF his mobo will let him.

All jacking up the voltage does is allow for higher clock speeds.

-mpjesse

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Overclocking your CPU is funny...P4E's can be overclocked decently but you need a great cooling setup....and in the end is a 10% increase in speed worth a case thats 15degrees warmer and a cpu that could start a fire?

prometheas

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
actually i dont have such a situation... i bought a TR2-M12 478 hsf from newegg for only 15 bucks (including s+h) and cools like crazy... my temps went from idle-load 65-75 to 35-50... and now 40-53 when oc to 3.15...my case temp is about 35-37C

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Overclocking your CPU is funny...P4E's can be overclocked decently but you need a great cooling setup....and in the end is a 10% increase in speed worth a case thats 15degrees warmer and a cpu that could start a fire?

Every true overclocker keeps a fire extinguisher near their rig :)