NT4 machine does not see Windows XP machine

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
December 3, 2004 1:25:04 PM

I have a home network that has 3 pc's. One has Windows XP, another Windows
2000 and the other Windows NT4 SP6a. For some reason or another my Windows
NT4 machine cannot see my Windows XP machine, but it can see my Windows 2000
machine. My Windows 2000 sees both Windows XP and Windows NT4.

When I setup my Home network, the NT4 machine was seeing the XP machine, but
after installing several security patches for Windows XP, I no can no longer
see the machine with NT4.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

THANKS...
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 7:06:00 PM

You'll probably need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (on Windows 2000/XP)
since Windows NT is involved. The XP firewall may also be an issue.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Angel" wrote:
|I have a home network that has 3 pc's. One has Windows XP, another Windows
| 2000 and the other Windows NT4 SP6a. For some reason or another my Windows
| NT4 machine cannot see my Windows XP machine, but it can see my Windows
2000
| machine. My Windows 2000 sees both Windows XP and Windows NT4.
|
| When I setup my Home network, the NT4 machine was seeing the XP machine,
but
| after installing several security patches for Windows XP, I no can no
longer
| see the machine with NT4.
|
| Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
|
| THANKS...

December 4, 2004 11:13:02 AM

THANKS FOR THE HELP BUT ALL THE MACHINES DO HAVE NETBIOS INSTALLED! BUT I
STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY
APPRECIATED.

THANKS...

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You'll probably need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (on Windows 2000/XP)
> since Windows NT is involved. The XP firewall may also be an issue.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Angel" wrote:
> |I have a home network that has 3 pc's. One has Windows XP, another Windows
> | 2000 and the other Windows NT4 SP6a. For some reason or another my Windows
> | NT4 machine cannot see my Windows XP machine, but it can see my Windows
> 2000
> | machine. My Windows 2000 sees both Windows XP and Windows NT4.
> |
> | When I setup my Home network, the NT4 machine was seeing the XP machine,
> but
> | after installing several security patches for Windows XP, I no can no
> longer
> | see the machine with NT4.
> |
> | Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
> |
> | THANKS...

Related resources
December 4, 2004 11:23:03 AM

THANKS IT WAS THE MICROSOFT FIREWALL ON XP THAT WAS NOT ALLOWING ME TO
CONNECT FROM NT4 TO XP MACHINE. IS THERE A WAY TO SET THE XP FIREWALL TO
ALLOW CONNECTIONS FROM THE NT4 MACHINE?

THANKS...

"Angel" wrote:

> THANKS FOR THE HELP BUT ALL THE MACHINES DO HAVE NETBIOS INSTALLED! BUT I
> STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY
> APPRECIATED.
>
> THANKS...
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
> > You'll probably need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (on Windows 2000/XP)
> > since Windows NT is involved. The XP firewall may also be an issue.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "Angel" wrote:
> > |I have a home network that has 3 pc's. One has Windows XP, another Windows
> > | 2000 and the other Windows NT4 SP6a. For some reason or another my Windows
> > | NT4 machine cannot see my Windows XP machine, but it can see my Windows
> > 2000
> > | machine. My Windows 2000 sees both Windows XP and Windows NT4.
> > |
> > | When I setup my Home network, the NT4 machine was seeing the XP machine,
> > but
> > | after installing several security patches for Windows XP, I no can no
> > longer
> > | see the machine with NT4.
> > |
> > | Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
> > |
> > | THANKS...

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:23:28 PM

Almost certainly a WINS/DNS/Browse master issue. Also your capslock key is
stuck.

--

!