Does everything fit on this PC?

SlyFie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Very nice site you guys have here, so I thought you guys could make some good suggestions.

Thermalktake Tsunami VA3000DWA Black
Asus A8n-SLI Socket 939
eVGA 256-P2-N516 GeForce 7800GT
Thermaltake TR2 430W Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 3700 San Diego Socket 939
Corsair XMS 1 GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Mitsumi Black 1.44MB 8 in 1 Floppy
Samsung SpinPoint P series 160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
Sony Black IDE DVD ROM
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner

Any suggestions on if I should replace anything or if anything doesnt fit? I havnt built it or bought anything yet, I just want to make sure Im getting the best stuff I can for under 1200 dollars.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
OH I SWEAR TO GOD IF I SEE ONE MORE ASUS BOARD THAT SOMEONE WANTS I WILL KILL THEM!!!

Why an asus board? explain to me why you would think you need one? i am at a loss....

Case.....fine
mobo....OH HELL NO!
gpu.....great
psu.....iffy at best...maybe try this...CLICK ME
cpu.....EXCELLENT
Ram....great
floopy....who cares?
HDD.....good
opticals.....good.

you dont need an SLI board...trust me. If you want to Overclock get an EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra. If you arn't....get a Chaintech VNF4 board. Cheaper AND better then that asus board.

SlyFie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I was thinking about getting the Asus board because a lot of people suggest it, such as the new PC Gamer mag did. And about the power supply: will that fit in my case correctly? (I have no clue if it will or not, just wondering.)

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Ya the power supply will fit.

I agree the asus is a bit to over rated but its a nice board to id recommend gettin the premium or deluxe version.

Everything looks good to be.. i didnt look up your graphics card but make sure its pciE or it wont work.

donnagual

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Looks like an excellent system to me. Almost the same setup I have.

One thing I would change though is that power supply. Thermaltakes are - to put it bluntly - trash.

Do yourself a huge favor and get one from a reputable company. You are spending big bucks on some high quality parts, make sure you are giving it some quality juice from the PSU.

Have a look at this thread for suggested companies:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
omg ya i didnt even see that psu... Dont use that thing there not horrible but you are spending alot get a Power PC and Cooling powersupply or a OCZ Modstream 520w ( i got the ocz one its awsome and stable as a ROCK :) )
The pc power and cooling are a bit more pricey but there the best that money can buy you can get bolth from newegg.com btw.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I was thinking about getting the Asus board because a lot of people suggest it, such as the new PC Gamer mag did. And about the power supply: will that fit in my case correctly? (I have no clue if it will or not, just wondering.)

Alright the Asus board isn't a terrible board but if you want to OC there are better board, if you want something cheap and rock solid there are better.....its kind of all about what you want. and Asus IMO doesn't fit that bill for you.

you can't build a budget rig with Asus....

Yeah, like i said...he PSU sucks....get what i said above or what is listed above.

SlyFie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Thanks guys. You guys are a good helping group. I changed the PSU Im going to get. An extra 10 bucks isnt that bad for better quality.

And what other Mobos are good for my setup? The two you mentioned are interesting, but I kind of want more choices. I would perfer an SLI board just incase I want to upgrade later.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Odds are you wont upgrade later using SLI.....you just have to sit and think about it. By the time you want to upgrade you will have to pay about $250 for another 7800GT OR you could pay $300 and get a next generation card thats as fast as two 7800GT's.

A LOT!!!!!! of people thought they would get a 6800GT now and upgrade later....almost none of them did. because at the release of the 7800GT's they were the same cost as 6800GT's....and if you had to buy one...its a no brainer that you would chose the next gen card. 1slot, cooler temps, better to OC with, lower power needs, next gen technology, and also two cards in SLI is more expensive because you have to have an SLI board, bigger/better PSU, and a better case cooling solution.

SLI is for people who want two top end cards 7800GT's or GTX's, not for people who might want to upgrade later. At all times you are only 4-6months from the next generation card release.

If you dont believe me ask around and you will find people who planned on buying another 6800GT when prices dropped....next cards have been out for quite a long time....and prices are just as they were 9months ago.

But if you want an SLI board just get the SLI versions of any of the boards reccomended.

I dont know why you need 15options....Google the boards we listed above, read reviews....atleast 5 of each board....and choose for yourself. None that have been reccomended are bad, some people just have personal preferneces of chosing one over another.

SlyFie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Yeah. I think Im going to take your suggestions. Ill find a few motherboards and see which one I enjoy better. Im trying to find a board that runs everything great and doesnt have any problems with it. O well, off to NewEgg I go.