User account cannot burn CD

Running windows 2000, my ordinary user account can read from the CD drive but
cannot burn to it, only the administrator accounts can.

How/where can I change that permission?

Try setting up failure auditing on the local machine hive. Run regedt32.exe
then browse to HKLM, then
Edit|Permissions|Advanced|Auditing|Add|"everyone"|OK then check the "Failed"
box on Full Control, Set Value, Create Subkey, Enumerate Subkey, Delete,
Create Link

Then try again logged on as a normal user. Then check the Event log security
for errors.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"the_lone_cicerone" wrote:
| Running windows 2000, my ordinary user account can read from the CD drive
but
| cannot burn to it, only the administrator accounts can.
|
| How/where can I change that permission?

I am using Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 (Now Roxio, they purchased that line of
software).

It looks like Easy CD Creator attempts to change the system registry every
time the application is opened (there is an error message "failed to update
system registry"), and when it cannot do so, it cannot find the CD burner...
although it still can read from the same CD drive.

Roxio refuses to support their software, they insist that I pay to update to
their latest version instead.

Is there a way I can log the changes to the system registry that the
software does or attempts?

Try setting up the failure auditing I mentioned.