Sign in with
Your question

Thermaltake Big Typhoon: How to get 2 deg C better cooling!

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Typhoon
  • Thermaltake
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 8, 2005 10:34:41 PM

For those of you like me who own a Thermaltake big typhoon, heres a very simple mod you can do to increase cooling significantly, reducing cpu temps 2 degrees C or more.

If you unscrew and take off the 120mm fan yoiu will see that the cooling section of fins and pipes is divided up 50;50 into 2 banks of fins, each with 3 pipes running though them.

But at the end of each bank, there is a noticable gap between the end of the fins and the fan shroud.

Airflow being what it is, it will take the path of least resistance, so a sizable amount of the airflow generated by the fan is going through these 2 holes at the end of each fin bank, and not contributing to thermal dissapation.

So just get some soft foam and squeeze it into these gaps, say a piece 1x3" and make ALL the airflow go between the fins!

Very easy and effective mod.

*Credit goes to Davexl of www.overclockers.com.au forums for this handy mod and image[/img]

More about : thermaltake big typhoon deg cooling

December 8, 2005 10:42:08 PM

Kewl easy tip!
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2005 2:29:27 AM

GREAT! But what if the cooler already keeps my CPU at such a low temperature that I don't need the extra 2C? What do I gain for my effort?
December 16, 2005 5:40:09 PM

Paper cuts - errr, cooling fin cuts... - on your fingers :) 

Mike.
!