Applications close on mouse click

Good morning all!

I have a problem where application windows close randomly on mouse clicks,
left or right, but not all mouse clicks.
All Sounds played also now end with a screech - Lots of fun!

The only thing that has changed in the three years it has been here is the
HDD, and that was a straight image that was done from one HDD to the other.
No Viruses or other probs.

I have done a Windows update and all that but no fix - Any ideas IT
Superstars?

Thank you very much and I hope you can help because I am getting a headache!

Haze.

After lots of fiddling, it actually transpires that the user had changed the
Virtual Memory to 2MB.
There wasn't enough Virtual memory to tell me it had run out by the looks.

I probably look like a right Numpty now but at least this may help someone
else one day!

Haze