A Few Hard Drive Questions...

SlyFie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Im building a new system and I have a 160 Gig PATA drive that I want to put in the new system. But I also want to have a SATA drive. Help?

1) Can you have an IDE (PATA) hard drive and a SATA hard drive in the same PC?

2) Do I need to buy a SATA cord for my new hard drive or does it or the mobo come with one?

3) Can I run two SATAs and one PATA?

Thanks ahead of time.

mpjesse

Splendid
Answers to questions 1 and 3 are... yes. You can run PATA and SATA together.

You can also simplify things by buying these little boards that plug into the back of your IDE hard drive... on the board is a SATA connector. So if you want to go all SATA- you can do that as well. Beware though, those little frikin boards are expensive.

Answer to question 2 is... yes, motherboards will come w/ SATA cables.

-mpjesse

mpjesse

Splendid
Yes.

I'm running 5 hard drives right now. They're all SATA drives, but I recently had a setup w/ 2 IDE hard drives, 2 IDE DVD/CD burners, and 1 SATA drive.

-mpjesse

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Yes you can run bolth, And gerneraly if you get a good motherboard manufacture like Asus or MSI they will give you 2-4 Sata cords and power connectors but thats not always the case so you might wana order 1 sata off newegg and 1 power thing too.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) Yes, you can have as many drives as you have connectors for. That's two connectors per PATA cable and one per SATA cable
2.) Yes, but some boards only come with two SATA cables and four SATA headers.
3.) Yes, you can run any combination of PATA and SATA drives.